Why is my smart meter not submitting gas readings

Why is my meter not submitting gas readings
    My gas meter suddenly stopped submitting smart readings last April. I've rung Eon Next twice about it in July and October. Both times they told me my meter is a Version 1 which is no longer compliant with their systems and I've been put on the list for a replacement meter, but there is a backlog. I have to submit manual readings each month to avoid estimated bills until they get round to installing the new meter. That could be what has happened with yours, but I'd advise give them a call next week (their Customer Services are closed at weekends). If you ring them, try at 9am and be prepared to be on hold for about an hour, because their phone lines are always busy.😃👍
    Last edited by Tommysgirl; 20-01-23 at 16:05. Reason: Adding info
    Level 91
    @Lorna

Gas meters have a battery which powers their communication to the communications hub attached to the electricity meter. These are long life batteries but their longevity is very questionable. If the meter is still recording consumption then - surprise , surprise, the suppliers are not in the least bothered. They just say send the readings in manually. Even if the meter stops recording consumption and the screen goes completely dark they don't seem to be in an hurry to replace the meter - they'll just bill you for months with estimates.

They're much too busy trying to foist these devices on yet more members of the public because they're under a remit to do so from OFGEM and the Government. There is no remit to ensure that they remain fully function per the ad campaign.

Try by all mean but if you are prepared for disappointment then rejection will not hurt as much.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Left mine plugged in and two days later it cured itself. Just as I bought another..I had tried all the other suggestions, I shall keep the new one just in case.sorry thats not much help is it.
    Last edited by Tristar; 20-01-23 at 22:38.
    Level 91
    Left mine plugged in and two days later it cured itself. Just as I bought another..I had tried all the other suggestions, I shall keep the new one just in case.sorry thats not much help is it.
    Yes the issue was not so much with the IHD as with the meter readings not getting to the supplier.