New smart meter display or upgrade limbo...

Level 5
    I moved into a property 3 years ago and there's no display for the smart meters.
    I contacted eon and was told they don't replace displays but I could buy one and actually sent me a link to one I could buy - but, here's the catch, also told me it wasn't compatible with the old smart meters which I have.
    When I replied okay so how do I upgrade my smart meters I was informed that eon don't upgrade smart meters whilst the old are still working 🫣🙃
    Sooo does this leave me in limbo with no display for the long foreseeable future? Seems crazy to leave old tech in situ but stop supporting it?
  • 3 Replies

Level 92
    @StrawberryGrace

You 'old tech' meters were installed by a different supplier. E.On Next didn't even exist three years ago. Supply of the IHD would have been the responsibility of the original supplier. Quite possible that there may have been an IHD supplied but previous residents took it with them, although as they are paired to specific meters, it's no good to them.

what you can do if your meters are working and sending readings back is to use something like the Bright app from Hildebrand which will allow you to track your usage without needing to buy an IHD.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @StrawberryGrace

there may be displays compatible with you meters - can you post images?
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Community Team
    @retrotecchie you have given @StrawberryGrace some great info there. We will replace an IHD as long as it is within the warranty period (12 months from date the meter was installed) however it is correct that we would not upgrade smart meters if there is smart already in the property as they still work and communicate with us just as well as the SMETS2 does. We actually get all of our data from the meter itself and not your in home display and it's recommended that you take readings etc from your meter itself as this is most accurate, however as mentioned above there are alternatives that you could try 😊