changing name on account

View Tag Cloud
    Level 4
    how easy is it to change name on account and still keep direct debit coming out of same bank account not like im trying to close any account down all i need is a name change on e-on account its not rocket science but they seem to throw obstacles in your way no need for it and when things do change on the energy provider front people will move away from this company to other energy firms if they dont start helping customers more.
  • 10 Replies

Level 91
    @stevo8345231

you can add names by calling customer services, with the other persons - legally they are becoming jointly liable for the debt.
    changing someone’s name might be different. Using the moving out/ moving in process could work but you’d need to set up direct debit stuff again
    it depend on exactly what you want to do.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @stevo8345231 with changing the name of an account what do you actually mean ? Add a new one and delete the current one? In order to do so, you can get in touch with us on social media and explain what you need to do. You will be able to keep the DD already set up, but in order to change any name already on the account we will need the consent from both party.
    Level 4
    @Bennie_EONNext hi its because my dads name is on the account and he passed away recently so need name changed on e-on account into my mothers name bit wary because the bank account that the bill is directly debited from is a joint account and when its changed into just a single account in my mothers name not sure if bank will allow a direct debit out of it in my dads name i have emailed e-on but reply i got back said they needed to see a will and that i had probate, was no will and i dont have official probate im just sorting out his financial affairs as i can do at the minute we do have a death certificate and i have read on other posts on social media under similar circumstances as these that a death certificate is enough proof not like we want to leave e-on we very happy with the service and bills are ok just dont want to change bank account into my mothers name and end up with a missed payment or we will get charged for it. and thank you for your help and information so far .
    @stevo8345231 I am really sorry to hear about your loss. My deepest condolences.

About the direct debit matter, is the bank account and sort code most likely to stay the same ?

I do believe as it is very understandable where your concerns come from, the NotifyNow services might be the most appropriate for you in this situation. We did made a thread with all the information that you may need.

Here's the link. Feel free to ask us any question you may have about it or if we can support you further in this matter.
    Level 4
    @Bennie_EONNext yes bank account and sort code will stay the same only really need a name change to my mothers on the e-on account
    Level 4
    @meldrewreborn really just change name on the bill would still be same family name and coming out of same bank account
    Level 91
    @stevo8345231

Sorry to learn of your dads passing. While it should be simple, we’ve had numerous cases of eon next being awkward . Hence the service mentioned above. Personally I’d send an email with “father deceased- transfer account to wife” in the subject line. Put all the other details in the message text and attach a copy of the death certificate and then wait. A current reading will help.

probate is a legal process which confirms to organisations who is responsible for the estate handling. It isn’t at all necessary in many cases, but organisations differ in their attitudes and some can be really uncooperative. The direct debit is safe - it will not be rejected, however long it takes.
    Level 4
    @meldrewreborn thinking it all through iv decided to use a company called settld to do the work for me they will inform E-ON next of the death and close account down i think even though it states on settld notify form that there are still family here to take over next account, just seems easier than going around in circles with emails to end up with same result if they close account down, one thing does confuse me is setting up new account if e-on are hard to get hold of i was wondering if its possible to set up new account by email with e-on rather than spending hours on a phone trying to get through to them just all seems mad really considering we paid by direct debit and a fixed amount as well each month dont have an online account and we got paper bills monthly as well would of just been easier all round for them as well just to change the name on current account but i suppose in this mad world nothing seems easy at the minute.
    Level 91
    @stevo8345231

its because of the legalities - upon the death of a single account holder all the deceaseds account are frozen as of the date of death.

As far as the energy account is concerned it will then be shown to be in credit, requiring a payment to the estate, or in debit requiring a payment from the estate. I’m not aware that the established processes can be circumvented.