Its 2023, Have all Smets1 meters now been upgraded onto the network?

View Tag Cloud
    It's my understanding that all smets1 meters should have been upgraded and moved by the end of 2022, should my smets1 meters now be working again?
  • 54 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @zappedtoe

Should have. It hasn't happened. But that's fine because any not working by 31/12/22 are supposed to be replaced by the suppliers...also by a deadline of 31/12/22.

This from UtilityWeek at the beginning of November:

Energy retailers have been given a 12-month extension to replace old smart meters, the government has confirmed to Utility Week. Suppliers initially had until 31 December 2022 to do this but following a consultation it was decided they would be unable to achieve this target. The deadline for suppliers to enrol their SMETS1 meters onto the DCC’s network so they are able to properly function remains in place for the end of the year, despite a backlog of five million meters still to clear in less than two months.

Current government data indicates around 29 million meters installed and about 24 million actually working.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 08-01-23 at 19:33.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
  • Best Answer

Best Answer
    Update:

Following my last post, I looked into switching supplier and promptly got a quote. With little hope of EON-Next coming along with a solution I decided a switch was my best option and signed up. My new supplier sent me a switch over date of only a couple of days later, switching is a lot quicker than it used to be! Within a day of signing up EON-Next sends me a "We’re sad to hear you’re leaving us" email...

I quote...
    " You're due to leave us for another supplier soon - but it's not too late to change your mind. If there's anything we can do to get you to stay, or if you've had a change of heart, then just reply to this email and we'll be happy to help - we're here from 8am to 10pm every day (weekends too)."

Actually I had explained my situation EON-Next on a number of occasions and felt you treated me with utter contempt, had me waiting on the phone for hours waiting to be answered, no reply to numerous emails, the list goes on. Moving on I thought I would download copies of my bills along with checking my balance, quite a large credit I would have thought. My balance was 0 and I had no longer got access to any bills or usage information?! So straight onto an email reply asking why. This was into the evening but I got the quickest email reply ever from EON-Next, must be the customer retension dept. Explaination, I was no longer a customer so didn't have access to that info. Hold on there Eon, I signed up to another supplier but there is a cooling off period so I should be able to see my balance at the very least? Thankfully the email contained my balance, well in credit. I've raised yet another complaint as I would like to view the bills they no longer send via post. No reply to that as of yet.

Thinking this would be the last I hear from them (EON-Next) for a while I get this email on Thurs titled "important information about your smart meters" to go on ....

"We need to exchange your smart meters. Please call us.

Your smart meters are going to stop working soon so we need to exchange them.

Wed like to arrange an appointment for one of our meter technicians to visit and upgrade your smart meters, so you get all the great benefits our newest meters offer.

Please give us a call now to book a date and time that suits you.

With smart meters you should:
    - Be seeing how much energy you’re using in pounds and pence with your helpful in-home display.
    - Not be receiving estimated bills.1
    - Not be needing to provide meter readings as they are sent to us automatically.Please call us.

Please give us a call on 0345 862 3405 to book a convenient date and time for us to visit and carry out the required exchange.

Any way we can help, we will,

The E.ON Next Team"

So I ring them, get cut off a number of times, eventually get through, navigate security questions, everything going well. Lovely lady say "so lets get you booked in ... oh hold on, there is a problem" then I'm into the old sit on hold for about 10 minutes. Back she comes back, saying "I cant get through to the ? dept, I"ll phone you back in an hour at most"... 2 hours later, nothing so I ring them again kind of knowing where this is all heading. You guessed it, I'm no longer a customer, didn't know why I got the email, sorry blah blah.

?????
    @retrotecchie Thanks for the reply, do EONext monitor and reply on these forums as I would like to know when they will be replacing my meter if it is still, since 2019, not enrolled onto the network ?
    Level 92
    @zappedtoe

By the end of this year, allegedly. Don't hold your breath...I'm convinced the goalposts will keep on moving. Only 5 million to finish migrating...or 13700 meters a day.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 08-01-23 at 19:39.
    The goalposts, for me, have been moving since 2019, it's a ridiculous situation now.
    Level 92
    @zappedtoe

These community pages are monitored. Unfortunately I doubt it will get you a new meter any quicker.
    Level 92
    The goalposts, for me, have been moving since 2019, it's a ridiculous situation now.

Which company originally installed your meters and what make and model are they? There are a few known meters that simply won't migrate.

British Gas
    Elec - Landis GYR E470
    Gas - Landis GYR G370