3 x electricity used

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    My electric usage for November was 250 units, for December it's 560....nothing different done, same appliances used. Has anyone any thoughts?
  • 5 Replies

Level 92
    @Vjr

That equates to another 10kWh per day, every day. What cooking type do you have? Heating? Do you have a hot water tank with an immersion heater.

Are you still racking up that sort of consumption at the moment?

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 59
    Is this usage based on actual reads or on estimated reads?

If you are on a smart meter, I'd start by looking the the Bright App for an android tablet/smartphone. That might identify the times of day when this additional usage is happening. Something has been switched on that you hadn't realised (something permanently pugged in 24/7 and drawing current) OR switched on for longer than you realised ( e.g. immersion heater timer on for longer than in November). If you have an IHD device, most can give you a 'usage now' function that gives you a realtime measure of the electricity power being drawn. So with my IHD, if only the absolute essentials are on i.e. couple of clocks, router for internet, Virgin 360 box on standby, fridge/Freezer on (but compressor not working) the draw is about 35W only (goes up to 110W+ if fridge/freezer compressor on).

My usage in November was 233 kWh rising slightly to 248 kWh in December so something is amiss. Heating (space or water) is likely to be the culprit.
    Last edited by Mailman; 04-01-23 at 22:32.
    Level 1
    @retrotecchie thanks. Nothing at all has changed, same appliances, no change of usage. The only difference was that eon next came on 22nð November to fit a smart meter but couldn't do it as they said the mains had 2 screws missing and scottish power would need to repair it (needless to say they havent).
    Level 1
    @Mailman thank you. No nothing new, no change of routine, no immersion or different appliances. An eon next engineer came on 22nd November to fit a smart meter but couldn't because there were 2 screws missing from the mains and scottish power need to repair this, obviously never heard a thing back from them...
    Level 92
    @Vjr

Is your daily consumption still showing High usage, i.e. 16-18kWh per day. I am an experienced electrical engineer and albeit you are using the same appliances with the same usage patterns, something must have happened somewhere to cause the increase in usage.

We had a recent member with a very similar issue to yours and with some careful remote diagnostics, we managed to trace the problem to a faulty appliance that was, unbeknownst to her, doubling her energy consumption. I'm happy to talk you through the same sequence as I did with her if that would help?