Faulty gas smart meter

Level 1
    I have logged on to my account to check my recent statement on 17th December and it says I have used only £10 gas which I thought was a bit odd.
    I went to go and submit a reading 2 days ago and the last meter reading submitted by the smart meter was the same as it was on my statement so I couldn't submit a new one.
    I took a photo of the meter reads and have checked it again today and it hasn't moved at all (even the digits after the decimals are the same). We have been using our central heating to heat our home so it should have at least gone up something.
    How do I go about getting an engineer to come out and make sure my meter is working correctly? I'm a little worried incase I'm all of a sudden hit with a massive bill months later.
    Has anyone else had similar happen to them?
    I believe I have the Landis and Gyr G470

Thanks in advance
  • 6 Replies

Level 92
    @Simon92922

Your best option is to send an email to hi@eonnext.com with all your details in the body and 'Gas meter fault' in the subject. Hopefully that will get the appropriate attention from the correct department.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    @Simon92922 Yes I have exactly the same (also a G470) - when we moved in last year we had this issue and 3 days before the meter fitter turned up it started reading again. We've had the gas isolated for a while for some building work and now again despite using gas the meter itself isnt incrementing. Readings are getting to Eon but they re always the same as is the reading on the meter. They are coming to replace the meter I just dont know when.
    @Simon92922 it seems like we might need to carry out a spaced meter reading test. This is called the Burn's test. If you carry out this test first and take pictures of the meter readings, will definitely speed up the process with the customer service in booking an appointment with an an engineer if the meter is faulty.

Here's how to do the test:
    - Turn everything gas on in the property (preferably high power appliances)
    - Go to the meters and find which meters are moving on and make a note of these (dials will be rotating for dial meter and digits after decimal point on digital display meters will advance)
    - Go back into the property and turn all gas appliances off
    - Go back to the meters your meter should now not be advancing, please take a photo of the meter and the reading(dials not turning/digits after decimal point not changed)

I hope this is helpful. 😁
    Level 1
    @Simon92922 it seems like we might need to carry out a spaced meter reading test. This is called the Burn's test. If you carry out this test first and take pictures of the meter readings, will definitely speed up the process with the customer service in booking an appointment with an an engineer if the meter is faulty.

Here's how to do the test:
    - Turn everything gas on in the property (preferably high power appliances)
    - Go to the meters and find which meters are moving on and make a note of these (dials will be rotating for dial meter and digits after decimal point on digital display meters will advance)
    - Go back into the property and turn all gas appliances off
    - Go back to the meters your meter should now not be advancing, please take a photo of the meter and the reading(dials not turning/digits after decimal point not changed)

I hope this is helpful. 😁
    Hi

The only thing in our property which is using gas currently is our boiler. I can't turn it on more than it is.
    the meter reads have no moved at all since mid November and will not move until I have an engineer come out and look at my meter.
    Personally I think the meter is faulty and needs replacing.
    I have had a message from the facebook support team and they had passed my query on to the metering teams, however, im still waiting to hear back from them.
    Level 91
    @Bennie_EONNext

given the response above an engineer visit to replace the meter seems to be in order.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @meldrewreborn I agree.
    @Simon92922 I am glad that the customer service team has directed your query to the metering teams. I am sure they will be in touch soon and able to give you an appointment.