Is my Smart Meter broken?

Level 5
    Dear All

Last night I looked at my smart meter at 19 mins after midnight and it told me I'd already used £4.38 of gas and electricity (see photo)

Obviously this was wrong and half an hour later it read 60p (the Standing Charge I assume).

This morning the usage looks about right so far, but when I checked what the reading was in the history for yesterday it tells me I only had used £3.16 which is bizarre. I don't recall exactly what the total was at the end of the day (eg before midnight), but it was above £6.

So I have problems and I am puzzled.

Is it bust, do they glitch? If they glitch, do they self-correct? If bust, will Eon supply a replacement? Should I submit a meter reading?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DebF_EONNext; 04-01-23 at 12:13.
  • 6 Replies

Level 91
    @wevonbr

if it’s bust, it’s only guaranteed for 12 months. But it’s best to think of it as a reporting device, as it only displays information held on the meters themselves, consumption, tariff etc. displays around midnight seem to cause confusion to many going by threads here.
    the main issue is whether you meters are sending accurate data to you account.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    Thank you. It does seems to be reporting OK - it has glitches and the app currently says "Looks like some of your data may be missing" but it's done that before and sorted itself out. I guess I'll wait and see if the New Year has confused it. It seems to be reporting accurately today.

I take what you say that its only a reporting device, so as said, it seems to report the correct consumption for the month, just not consistently display it. But the meter doesn't show any tariff info and it never has. Should I worry about that? See photos please.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Level 91
    @wevonbr

if no tariff data is shown then it’s likely that the appropriate data hasn’t been received from your supplier. A message to customer services with “tariff data missing” in the subject line and account details in the message should elicit correction. A few of us here think concentrating on consumption, levels of which can be compared over time, are more useful than costs which vary now at 3 month intervals. And you can’t influence standing charges only consumption. If you concentrate on reducing consumption then costs will follow.
    Level 92
    To be fair, if it isn't showing you the tariff, then almost any cash value it displays on the screen can only be a random guess at best. So long as it accurately displays meter readings and your readings are going back to the supplier OK, then that's as good as it gets.

You could always drop an email to hi@eonnext.com with all your account details in the body and 'Request smart meter tariff push' in the subject and they may be able to remotely update the tariff information so you get more accurate info from the IHD.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    @wevonbr

I see that there is a contradiction between you having cost data but no tariff data, but I have no explanation.
    Level 5
    I have solved it. It is so simple and I am so stupid. If the IHD is set to dual fuel of course it can't show the tariff. You have to set it to either gas or electricity to see it. Doh.