Ripped off

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    How can eon bill me for electric when I wasn't even with them. A company fraudulently moved my account to Scottish power October last yr. In Feb I found out about this. It was done without my consent and I had signed nothing on paper or electronically. Scottish power agreed I had not asked or agreed to this transfer and also agreed to write off the bill from the stated period due to this being done by a company from the Wirral.....illegally.....not by me. Something called an erroneous transfer. Today I have been billed 511£ by eon who are claiming I owe them the moneyThe supply wasn't even from them!!!! This is also after 7 months from may this year to now of increasing and incredibly high bills which they have refused to investigate. My bill was paid last wk.....the start of the month my metre showed 7.42£. Tonight after 14days it's now showing 74.00£. ???? On Monday it was only 52£ how can I use 22£ in 2 days and im at work all day........how can I use 74£ in 14 days? I'm a single guy in a one bed flat...n cannot put my heating on as I'm scared to do so!!! I'm a vulnerable adult who has had two heart attacks......I work full time so I'm out all day..
    ....where are these charges appearing from.
  • 7 Replies

Level 92
    @alannixon993

Let's take this in logical steps to see what's going on.

Ok, you were erroneously transferred to Scottish Power. From which other company? As in, who was your original supplier? My bet is Igloo, Symbio or Enstroga.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 14-12-22 at 19:15.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    I was with eon and then this erroneous transfer happened.
    Level 92
    @alannixon993

Ok. You were with E.On. You were erroneously transferred to Scottish Power and didn't twig until February. You would have then been transferred back to E.On, but E.On Next now have all E.On's retail customers. E.On themselves now only supply business customers.

So, the bills from Scottish Power were cancelled because of the erroneous transfer and thus you didn't owe money to SP, but to your original supplier who was E.On but is now E.On Next.

Just because it was an erroneous transfer doesn't mean you don't owe SOMEONE for five months of your energy use between October and February.

So that is why you had outstanding bills. The increase in your bills since then is purely because of the increase in prices in April, July and October. No investigation needed. Bills are bigger because prices have almost doubled since October last year.

You've not been 'ripped off' at all. Just a victim of the same price hikes we've all experienced.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 14-12-22 at 19:37.
    Level 1
    @retrotecchiescottish power wrote off the bill due to it being an erroneous transfer. Done illegally n nothing was paper signed or digitally signed by me. It was done illegally by some fraudulent company from the Wirral. Hence Scottish power agreed to write off the debt as it was not my fault and they were going after the company who fraudulently set it up.
    Level 92
    @alannixon993

Agreed, but that is a completely separate issue from you needing to pay for your energy use from your legitimate supplier, E.On Next.
    Level 1
    I've been paying them for everything from before the transfer and as soon as Scottish power finally transferred it back. They wrote it off coz of the erroneous transfer. Eon are claiming it was their power so I owe them. How can it be theirs if Scottish power were providing me.
    Level 92
    @alannixon993

No, they (Scottish Power) wrote off any charges that they could have billed you for the period of the 'erroneous' transfer. They billed you 'erroneously' in effect, whereas had you not been 'erroneously transferred', you would have just carried on paying your energy bills to the original supplier. Scottish Power quite rightly 'wrote off' any claim they may have had for your energy costs, but they cannot write of costs that were legitimately due to Eon. You used the energy, you have to pay for it.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 30-12-22 at 22:18.