Storage heater and hot water not working since Smart Meter install - Economy 7

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Hi,

I am on an Economy 7 tariff. I had a smart meter installed on 9th December and since it was installed the the two storage heaters and the hot water tank that take advantage of the night time cheaper rate do not turn on.

To be clear I of course have an electricity supply during the night at the cheaper rate as confirmed by checking the IHD and also by checking the two tariffs on the smart meter itself....it's just that it seems the circuit that the storage heaters and hot water tank are connected do have been disconnected somehow from the main supply or something.

I have checked everything within my own flat with regards to fuses and the consumer unit and everything is normal.

I called and an emergency appointment was made where an engineer visited and he said he could see nothing was wrong and that I should give it 48 hours because sometimes it takes time to work which seems like an absurd idea to me but I thought okay sure. I then realised it had already been 48 hours anyway since the install where things stopped working. I'm currently trying to get through to customer services to get someone to come back and just replace the damn thing since it's the coldest period of the year and I don't want to go back and forth forever about it.

In the meantime I wondered if anyone here could see anything wrong with the setup. I've included two pictures of what was installed...a 5 terminal meter.

Name:  IMG_2765.JPG
Views: 9551
Size:  96.8 KB Name:  IMG_2766.JPG
Views: 8216
Size:  77.6 KB

Having googled a lot I've realised that a lot of people have had the exact same problem...so is it a case of a engineer making a mistake or something else?

Thanks!
  • 22 Replies

Level 92
    @AthiqueAhmed

You have 5 terminal meter, so the correct type of meter for switched immersion heater and storage heater systems.

Do you have two separate breaker panels, one for regular lights/sockets and a second smaller one for the heating system?

If so, check the smaller one in case there is an RCD that may have tripped.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a separate box for the heating system...

Name:  IMG_2767.JPG
Views: 7036
Size:  41.4 KB Name:  IMG_2768.JPG
Views: 7108
Size:  35.3 KB

As you can see nothing is tripped. All is ok in the larger unit too. My last check was at about 2am this morning just to see if there was any power being received. The heaters themselves for example receive power...it's just the secondary circuit doesn't seem to have any. I even checked the fuses at wall just in case.
    Level 92
    @AthiqueAhmed

Ok, nowt physical then. Sounds like the fifth terminal on the meter hasn't been programmed correctly. The only thing I can suggest is either try customer services to see if they can remotely enable the switched output, which should be doable as it's a smart meter, or it's an engineer callout, I'm afraid.
    Level 1
    I just move in to new apartment 2 weeks ago and the meter is prepaid supply by E.on please how much I change it to credit and pay monthly with economic 7
    Level 92
    @Micheal231

Register your energy account with E.On Next first of all. Once they have all your account details, then you can email them at hi@eonnext.com with a request to change your meters. You might have to wait for some time.
    Level 91
    @AthiqueAhmed

since your meter install was not done properly you should raise a formal complaint- see blue box below. In the meantime, send customer services an email with economy 7 meter install faulty in the subject line and insist upon another engineer vist to correct or replace the meter .
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @Micheal231

until very recently there was no process to move from prepayment to credit with E.O. Next. There is one now - just started but don’t assume it will be quick. Credit as about £50 per annum less expensive than prepayment for average customer.
    Level 1
    @AthiqueAhmed

Ok, nowt physical then. Sounds like the fifth terminal on the meter hasn't been programmed correctly. The only thing I can suggest is either try customer services to see if they can remotely enable the switched output, which should be doable as it's a smart meter, or it's an engineer callout, I'm afraid.

We are having the same problem. EoN are insisting on another engineeer visits; but as far as we can see (it has been checked) the installation is fine there is "just" a programming problem. I am still looking to find anyone who has had this problem solved, and if so how it was done! Many thanks
    Level 92
    @SPJ

Potentially, the engineer is being deployed to do the programming locally? I'm not overly familiar with modern meters, but back when I used to play with them regularly, some had to be programmed using a hand-held terminal with an optical connection to the meter on the FLAG interface.

I would have thought that a newer smart meter would have the capability to enable this remotely, but as I say, I'm not too up to date on these newer meters.

The fact it has the fifth terminal clearly indicates it's the right meter electrically.