Really fed up with Eon

Level 5
    The display on my 'smart' gas meter has failed and I have no way of finding out how much gas is being supplied to me. I have been reading my meters every week for years so I do know how to do it.
    I did email Eon with this information on 11 October, (the day I found out), 20 October, 2 November and tried ringing on 7 November but gave up after 35 minutes with no indication of how much longer I would have to wait before being connected.
    Finally on 20 November I had a reply to my last email from a member of staff whom I will not name, copying my last email and asking me to email him, (or her), asking me to send an email if I am still having problems.
    Of course I am still having problems because the meter needs replacing, or repairing. I replied the same day but still have not had any further contact.
    Eon's customer service seems remarkably lacking, even allowing for the increase in contacts from people who are struggling to pay their bills.
    I am getting really fed up with the lack of help from Eon so if I do not get any positive response saying what they are going to do then I suppose that the only option is to get in touch with my MP and see if he can contact somebody senior in Eon to get some action.
    If anyone in Eon is reading this then perhaps they would like to contact me and arrange for an engineer to visit and replace the meter.
  • 17 Replies

Level 91
    @vivpyner
    I would advise starting by making a complaint. See here for details of the process.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 5
    Thanks very much for the suggestion JoeSoap, I will try that.
    Viv
    Level 18
    The display on my 'smart' gas meter has failed and I have no way of finding out how much gas is being supplied to me. I have been reading my meters every week for years so I do know how to do it.
    I did email Eon with this information on 11 October, (the day I found out), 20 October, 2 November and tried ringing on 7 November but gave up after 35 minutes with no indication of how much longer I would have to wait before being connected.
    Finally on 20 November I had a reply to my last email from a member of staff whom I will not name, copying my last email and asking me to email him, (or her), asking me to send an email if I am still having problems.
    Of course I am still having problems because the meter needs replacing, or repairing. I replied the same day but still have not had any further contact.
    Eon's customer service seems remarkably lacking, even allowing for the increase in contacts from people who are struggling to pay their bills.
    I am getting really fed up with the lack of help from Eon so if I do not get any positive response saying what they are going to do then I suppose that the only option is to get in touch with my MP and see if he can contact somebody senior in Eon to get some action.
    If anyone in Eon is reading this then perhaps they would like to contact me and arrange for an engineer to visit and replace the meter.

You should also point out that the meter index is also required by any engineer as part of servicing your gas appliances. Its good practice to gas rate them as part of any safety check indicating they are Woking correctly. This cannot be done if there isn’t any display on the meter.
    Level 92
    @vivpyner

Your meter has definitely died. Probably a dead battery. On the upside, you will not be cut off. Downside is you will have no current information and E.On can only bill you on estimated consumption.

@JoeSoap says, get the complaint in.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    @Plantagenet Thanks, so it looks as if the meter needs to be replaced, as I have repeatedly told Eon. I will wait and see if I get any response to my email to unhappy@eonnext.com.
    Level 18
    @Plantagenet Thanks, so it looks as if the meter needs to be replaced, as I have repeatedly told Eon. I will wait and see if I get any response to my email to unhappy@eonnext.com.
    Thats ok, just a bit of leverage to include in your email, might help to speed things up if you point out the “ safety “ issue as well as the inconvenience.
    Level 5
    It might not be of any help I've been contacting Eon though email and they have been replying within the day.... when was someone happy about that!!!

But make sure you get your complaint in please.
    Level 5
    Well, what a surprise, 12 weeks after my initial request for help, six emails, one abortive phone call terminated after 35 minutes as I had no idea how much longer I would have to wait. Still the only response, (on 20 November), asking me to email the person who sent the email if I was still having a problem. Did they think that meters magically repaired themselves? I did reply to that email and that one was ignored as well.
    So now I have contacted the Energy Ombudsman to see if they can help. If not then I suppose I can ask my MP or national newspapers or the BBC, ITV, etc.