Smart meter not sending readings

Level 1
    My SMETS1 smart meter was installed a few years ago by Eon. I moved suppliers to British Gas obviously my meter went dumb. I moved back to Eon/Eon next after a few months my meter started working again until August this year. It has been unable to send readings since . How come I am able to see my usage via the bright app yet Eon next can’t get them ? Surely they come from the same place. When I moved to British Gas the IHD didn’t work so I binned it . I requested a replacement but was informed that I couldn’t have one and sent a link to buy an alternative.
  • 1 Reply

Level 92
    My SMETS1 smart meter was installed a few years ago by Eon. I moved suppliers to British Gas obviously my meter went dumb. I moved back to Eon/Eon next after a few months my meter started working again until August this year. It has been unable to send readings since . How come I am able to see my usage via the bright app yet Eon next can’t get them ? Surely they come from the same place. When I moved to British Gas the IHD didn’t work so I binned it . I requested a replacement but was informed that I couldn’t have one and sent a link to buy an alternative.

Firstly, the data for your app and the data sent to Eon do come from the same place. The meter. That is where the story ends. Data to your app comes via the HAN, or Home Area Network. Meter readings are sent over the WAN, or Wide Area Network, to the supplier via the mobile phone network.

Secondly, SMETS1 meters were supplier specific. Moving to BG they went dumb, moving back to Eon, they may have worked for a time then went dumb again.

This is because they no longer phone directly home, but data is now handled centrally by the comms company DCC. Migration, or attempted migration, of SMETS1 meters to DCC has been a bit of a hit and miss thing. Mostly miss. In fact more meters are dropping off the network every month than they can migrate back onto it as the telephone companies begin shutting down 3g services in many areas. The few smart meters in my area have all gone into sulk mode now as all 3g has been shut off by EE (and consequently Three) and Vodafone (and consequently O2).

In built up areas newer SMETS2 meters fan form a 'mesh' and relay data via 4g to the DCC network, and in some cases DCC have put in their own 868MHz comms infrastructure, but it is my guess that within a couple of years, most SMETS1 kit will be useless in the southern half of the UK. They use a different radio system in the northern half.

It may be that DCC may be able to adopt your meters back onto the network...they purport to do all they can by the end if this year, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Might be worth checking your meters here

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

If the DCC network can actually see them, then a call to Customer Services may be needed to chivvy things along.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 19-11-22 at 22:25.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.