Energy Shift is a CON

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    Totally agree on Thursday 19th Jan I reduced by 83% and received the princely sum of 19p and Monday 23rd Jan I reduced according to my Evie monitor about 50% and was told failed to reach target, it’s just not worth switching everything off and then switching things on again, someone is gaining from this fiasco probably eon it’s certainly not me, next energy shift just forget it
    Level 55
    The maths behind how the % reduction translate into £ reward are in the public domain see National Grid ESO explainer for general details of DFS (Demand Flexibility Service) and the key documents contained therein esp Participation Guidelines p28 which goes into some detail as to exactly what the maths is.

I'm trying to get to grips with it myself but suffice to say there are 2 components to increasing the reward that you got from the National Grid ESO via your Eon next account

1. Decreasing your usage in the event timeslot
    2. Shifting as much of your normal daily usage to a period of between 1-4 hours before the event takes place as this will increase the 'in day adjustment'. In my case I had to do some washing and drying on both recent event days so I tried to perform as much of this during 1-4pm period rather than at any other time. The big numbers that are posted are due to those cutomers who are able to shift many kWh of electricity to said timeslot - EV charger, Heat Pump etc
    Last edited by Mailman; 26-01-23 at 11:26.
    Level 1
    @EnergysaverDave @freezingmynutsoff

I am guessing both of you have not heard of the in day adjustment period where you move as much of your days electricity to so you boost your earnings?

This is a three hour period starting 4 hours before the energy shift event.

E.g if the event is running 5pm-6pm during 1pm-4pm shift as much of your electricity usage into that period

Cook, clean, dishwash,tumbledry,charge an EV, heat the hot water with electricity.

Just try that next event and then see what your results are like.
    Level 92
    The maths behind how the % reduction tranlate into £ reward are in the public domain see National Grid ESO explainer for general details of DFS (Demand Flexibility Service) and the key documents contained therein esp Participation Guidelines p28 which goes into some detail as to exactly what the maths is.

I'm trying to get to grips with it myself but suffice to say there are 2 components to increasing the reward that you got from the National Grid ESO via your Eon next account

1. Decreasing your usage in the event timeslot
    2. Shifting as much of your normal daily usage to a period of between 1-4 hours before the event takes place as this will increase the 'in day adjustment'. In my case I had to do some washing and drying on both recent event days so I tried to perform as much of this during 1-4pm period rather than at any other time. The big numbers that are posted are due to those cutomers who are able to shift many kWh of electricity to said timeslot - EV charger, Heat Pump etc

This is also not something that people with an empty house can easily do during the day if they do a 9-5, the kids are out at school and the house is unoccupied during the period you need to move the usage to.

Of course, if you have an old fashioned tumble drier where there are no electronic controls but just a motorised time clock, nothing to stop you from using a suitably rated plug in timer and setting it up to do a load and having it on a time clock. By suitably rated, I mean one capable of handling large loads. Of course, lots of people (especially after the Hotpoint debacle of a few years ago) simply refuse to use a tumble drier if the house is unoccupied!

The system is 'gamable' as some people have found, but you need to be able and available to proactively game it.

Last edited by retrotecchie; 26-01-23 at 10:48.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 1
    Definitely not suitable for the following people
    1) At work 9-5 unless they have delay start on their appliances or can fit a Smart Plug

2) People not willing to change habits
    3) People for which the reward just is not worth the hassle

That said for every measly 1kWh you can shift to the in day adjustment period will pay you £1-£1.20

Even for very low users that can shift a couple of thinks will see their poxy 10-40p payouts become £'s
    Level 55

Even for very low users that can shift a couple of thinks will see their poxy 10-40p payouts become £'s

The amount I got for Monday 23rd was £3.09 and in the right area according to my spreadsheet.

The amount I should get for Tuesday will be circa £4 if my spreadsheet calcs are correct. Only able to manage a reduction of 0.97kWh adjusted which wasn't helped by a very late notification 2.5 hours before the event started so my 'in day adjustment figure' was lower than Monday! However difficult to say for sure unless Eon Next are able to tell the exact payment for each kWh reduction although I assumed a value of £4/kWh in my calculation. Over the 2 days then about £7 and this is from a below average user at about 2400 kWh of annual electricity with a fairly static consumption pattern unable to do that much shifting unlike yourself. 😜
    Last edited by Mailman; 26-01-23 at 15:59.
    Level 16
    The amount I got for Monday 23rd was £3.09 and in the right area according to my spreadsheet.

Hey not fair! I'm still waiting for my Monday 23rd result.

Yes Eon Next Energy Shift Demand Flexibility Service is a CON.
    I think reading back over the thread it shows quite clearly how way off many of our so called smart meters are and they need checking.
    That said the scheme is a con set up merely to look good on paper for eon and its other shill fat cats cashing in on poor peoples misery.
    My goal was 20% and I joined 4 times for the hour and my result ranged from 56p to £3.72 for doing exactly the same thing each time..switch everything off including fridge/freezer. The killer isnt the energy used anyway its the scandalous standing charges set up by the shill consumer protection body OFGEM to look after its robber baron paymasters. Since its inception of the CAP all its done has removed ALL competition that all businesses trade under and filled the pockets to the tune of billions of the fat cat energy suppliers and we cant do anything about it. Democracy is yet again clearly an illusion.
    Level 55
    I think reading back over the thread it shows quite clearly how way off many of our so called smart meters are and they need checking.
    That said the scheme is a con set up merely to look good on paper for eon and its other shill fat cats cashing in on poor peoples misery.
    My goal was 20% and I joined 4 times for the hour and my result ranged from 56p to £3.72 for doing exactly the same thing each time..switch everything off including fridge/freezer. The killer isnt the energy used anyway its the scandalous standing charges set up by the shill consumer protection body OFGEM to look after its robber baron paymasters. Since its inception of the CAP all its done has removed ALL competition that all businesses trade under and filled the pockets to the tune of billions of the fat cat energy suppliers and we cant do anything about it. Democracy is yet again clearly an illusion.

Not sure where to start other than to state the obvious that all the posts prior to yours relate to the Demand Flexibility Service as it was for winter 2022/2023. Folk complained when In Day Adjustment was used last year but this winter it was binned by the body responsible for the terms of DFS - The National Grid ESO. Perhaps this is another organisation that you need to include along with the other industry participants you mention.

For you and some other customers 'the scheme is a con' whereas for others it is largely irrelevant with more savings to be made via household energy reductions irrespective of whether they have 'so called smart meters'. The rewards, such as they are, for the scheme this time round are calculable for those taking part this time around much more accurately than they were last year so this group of customers may feel differently to yourself.

Your other views relating to eon, standing charges, robber barons, shill fat cats, shill OFGEM and democracy, I leave for others to comment as these points really belong in their own thread altogether if you feel as strongly as you do about them.
    Last edited by Mailman; 18-12-23 at 10:40. Reason: word insertion
    Level 92
    @Mailman

Well said. I have already posted many times on the subject of energy generators, the wholesale market, failings in the energy sector and the fact that actual 'suppliers' are not actually the 'villain of the piece', so I have nothing further to add here.