Energy support payments

• Tags for this Thread
  • ebss
View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    In October I automatically got my £66 energy support taken off my October direct debit. In November I didn’t receive it. Is there any reason for this? I have messaged , What’s App and emailed Eon but no response
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @Samantha5678

Most of the payments in October arrived on the 6th...I expect the subsequent payments would arrive at roughly the same sort of date. It's not that you haven't had it. You just haven't had it yet.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    @Samantha5678

I hope it reassures you a little. However things shake down, when you look back at your statements come April, you'll be £400 less worse off.

Level 1
    @Samantha5678 Not sure that answers the question though. I too was expecting the amount Eon took as my direct debit this month to be £66 less than the direct debit amount just like happened in October.

Timeline of events was

october direct debit £66 less than the previous months direct debit
    Account credited by £66 from the Government scheme.
    Result Same amount in total paid off my Gas and Electric account.

November direct debit taken at full suggested amount
    Account credited by the £66 from Government scheme
    Result I have paid 58% more this month than last for charges that have gone up by 23%

I spoke via whatsapp to an Eon representative who said the £66 had already been deducted from my suggested direct debit payment which I find somewhat concerning.

The statement on the website

"

How the Energy Bills Support Scheme will affect you.

Your Direct Debit will be reduced by £67 per month for 6 months from 1 October, however you should leave your Direct Debit at the recommended amount. Find out more about the Energy Bills Support Scheme"

tends to suggest that the deduction would be from the suggested amount not that it had already been applied. No wonder they didn't want you to reduce the direct debit yourself.
    Level 10
    @Rich2468

Without knowing the figures you're talking about it's hard to be sure, but this may be (at least partly) because energy prices increased for most people for usage on or after 1st October. The energy price guarantee came into play then, but even with that the new prices are still higher than the previous cap. It wouldn't have shown up on a bill in early October because that would cover energy use in September, but this month we'll see the effect of the higher prices.

Does that make sense - not sure if I've explained that very well! The exact effect of the price rise / cap also depends on your tariff and payment method, just to complicate things a bit more..
    Level 92
    @Rich2468

Without knowing the figures you're talking about it's hard to be sure, but this may be (at least partly) because energy prices increased for most people for usage on or after 1st October. The energy price guarantee came into play then, but even with that the new prices are still higher than the previous cap. It wouldn't have shown up on a bill in early October because that would cover energy use in September, but this month we'll see the effect of the higher prices.

Does that make sense - not sure if I've explained that very well! The exact effect of the price rise / cap also depends on your tariff and payment method, just to complicate things a bit more..

Well said. here's my take.

Up until the price rises, lets say my energy costs were 100 a month. So, my DD would be 100 a month, right?

01 October, I'm billed for my usual £100 for my September bill. Old prices, but payable in arrears. Energy subsidy doesn't come into play, price rises don't come into play. With me so far?

Ok, so OFGEM turn round and say 'energy cap going up'. Woah there, from October 1st my prices are going to almost double...I'll be paying best part of 200 a month...price rises plus using more energy.

BUT the government come along and give us all £400, split over six months. So, without that I'd be paying around £200 a month. My DD would have had to double.
    So, the grant comes in £66 credited to my account in October, but this is to help towards my October bill. That bill was going to be £200 without any intervention but the EPG has now brought that bill down to nearer £175. Cool. Without the grant, my DD would need to be £175.

When my bill is calculated in November for my October consumption (bills are in arrears, remember) it comes in at £175

My account has the grant credit of £66 which is knocked off the bill, leaving £109 to pay. Which is more than my original DD of £100 so the DD still needs to go up a bit.

I think there is a little confusion with two separate issues here. The EPG which sets the maximum unit prices, will still see your bills and payments rise
    The £400 grant is a completely separate thing.

You'll be paying more a month. End of. But not as much as you could have been, thanks to the EPG.

For 6 months, you get a little help....£400 over a six month period. But unless you are a very low energy user, that help probably won't cover the entire price rise, and it was never intended to. It's help, but does not completely negate the rises. And in April you lose the EPG and the payments. If you are a low user and racking up a positive balance on your account, then probably as well because unless something else comes along, the April price hikes will be humungous and you might be very glad of some buffer.