Government £66 not deducted from my DD. WHY?

Level 5
    My new contract began today, 1st November. The new agreed DD was increased to £200 a month which I was advised would just about cover my predicted usage costs of around £2500 for the coming 12 months.

Last month my DD was reduced by the £66 so I only paid the balance between that and my then DD of £134.

But today Eon have taken the whole £200 out of my account. They have not deducted the £66. WHY?

I managed to get through on the phone at 9am. But it was impossible to understand the explanation to my simple question:

The £66 was deducted last month. Why has it not been deducted this month?!

The operator got shirty and has now reduced my DD for some reason. We were both getting agitated at this point so I ended the call.

But my question still stands:

Why reduce the DD by £66 one month...but not the next? Where is the £66? How do I get the £66...?

All very confusing, stressful...and far too much time spent hanging on the phone only to find when I do get through that I do not get a straightforward answer.

A nightmare for everyone. Far worse for we pensioners who are fearful of turning on lights, ovens...and especially heating. We dread the coming winter...

• 3 Replies

Level 57
    I have yet to hear of anyone who has had their energy account credited with £66 today either. Possibly, those like yourself, with very early monthly DD have been affected by the nature of these payments. Would I be right in assuming that last month's DD date was not on the 1st? I say this because the EBSS payment came through as a credit on our accounts on 6th October. Maybe your future and remaining DD reductions will take place on 1st Dec, 1st Jan, 1st Feb, 1st Mar and 1st April because the Nov reduction will be applied on the 1st Dec DD etc. Of course another thing might be that Eon Next refund the EBSS payment direct to your bank account this month once the funding has come through from HMG.

This is all supposition on my part and perhaps the community co-ordinators know more about the mechanics of how present and future EBSS payments are being handled. Over to them. 😀
    I've had the same issue this month and I am not on a new contract, what is particularly odd is they correctly applied the reduction last month.

I think something may have gone wrong with their systems.
    Level 92
    This is all supposition on my part and perhaps the community co-ordinators know more about the mechanics of how present and future EBSS payments are being handled. Over to them. 😀

I have a feeling that because the whole system was set up in a bit of a rush to get it implemented in time for October, and because this sort of thing hasn't had to happen before and because different suppliers have different accounting methods, it's just taking a little bit of 'bedding in and until everyone arrives at a consistent system, it's still not 100% sorted. Sure it's causing a lot of confusion and different people seem to be having different experiences.

I'm not giving a hill of beans whether its' a credit to my energy account, reduction in my DD or money in my bank. So long as by April My statements show I've paid £x amount of money for my energy and £400 of that came from the government, then that is all that matters to me.

Yes, absolute clarity would help, but bills is bills and you'd still be having to pay them if the government wasn't chipping in.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.