Withholding credit

Level 1
    My dad is over £1000 in credit and despite them agreeing a refund they now won’t approve unless they have a photo of the meter, what’s that about?!? He’s 78 and can just about send a text!
  • 1 Reply

Level 91
    @corvane

They want to verify that the account is actually in credit, by checking the readings, before they return the money. Whether they can demand a photo of the meter is I think extremely dubious, If they have doubt about readings (which I can entirely understand) the codes of practice allow them to ask for another reading. The codes do not allow the supplier to demand a photo, although many customers, even 78 year olds, could do that easily, But many customers, of all ages, can't. A verbal confirmation of the reading should suffice, and if it doesn't ask for him to go onto the priority services register and for a meter reader to come and inspect if they wish.

Be prepared to make a complaint if they dig their heels in. They should be making allowances for the relatively small percentage of customers who are not able to comply with photos.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.