You Asked... We Answered - SME Q&A

  • bethanypaige_EONNext's Avatar
    Hey everyone Beth here πŸ‘‹

    It's been a while since we last spoke about Small and Medium Businesses (SME). Myself, and our other business guru @Martina_EONNext have been piling together some SME related content for you and we have hopefully answered any questions you may have 😎.

    What do you define as a Small/Medium business?

    A small/medium business is classed as a sole trader of any small business which employs less than 8 people.

    What about the rates... are they any cheaper/more expensive than a domestic account?

    Business rates tend to work out cheaper - this is because you are using a lot more energy.

    Can I choose a tariff?

    If you are going onto a business tariff then our sales team would be offering you a choice of tariffs which range from a 1 or 2 year contract. But unlike a residential tariff this is legally binding and you cannot cancel your contract at any point; unless your business stops trading, or you sell the business.

    I have a small business that I run at home, I also am employed elsewhere - should I be registering as a business?

    Now this one is not a straight yes or no, but dependent on the information and energy use of the business you supply us with.
    Firstly we will check the Domestic Coucil Tax Register. If your property does not show us; then it will be registered as a business and you would need a SME account 😊.

    There is also a few more things we'd check:
    πŸ‘‰ Does anyone live here? - Typically, if people also reside at the property then this will need to be a domestic account. Unless a large proportion of your usage is taken up by supplying your business.
    πŸ‘‰ What is the business trading as?
    πŸ‘‰ Does the consumption fit with what we would typically find with a business? - Businesses tend to use significantly more energy.

    My domestic account is with E.ON Next, can I link them?

    Yes! This is no problem.

    That sounds great! How do I open up a business account?

    We will need the following from you:
    πŸ‘‰ Business Registration Number
    πŸ‘‰ A copy of either your liability insurance/food hygiene certificate or Business Council Tax Rates.
    πŸ‘‰ Your full name, address, telephone number and any details of anybody who is also liable for the account.

    We hope this has been super helpful for those with new business accounts, or perhaps just wanted some more information😊.
    If you need to contact our business team you can do so by emailing us at: or by calling us on: 08085015699. If you do have any further questions please do let myself or Martina know πŸ€—.

    Catch ya' later Community πŸ‘Š
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 26-10-22 at 08:37.
  • 1 Reply

  • JoeSoap's Avatar
    Level 91
    Thanks for the info. Just acknowledging your post to remove it from the Questions to be Answered ticker 😁
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.