Warm Home Discount Update

Level 91
    @retrotecchie

The main difference is I think the exclusion of people with disabilities - there is no automatic criteria based on disability, but those same people might qualify under the wider definition of low income.

The total number of discounts is thought to be up circa 500,000 households this time compared to last time, so this isn't a cost cutting change.

The changes though are permanent - they will be the much the same going forward, but perhaps subject to tweaks.

I think that the idea is basically good - especially as the process is automatic - meaning people don't need to be "in the know" to apply, but the selection of high cost homes seems to be shrouded in mystery between the VOA and the energy supplier.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Indeed. My better half no longer qualifies on the basis of her disability benefits, but is still included under housing benefit. Technically I would qualify on the basis of 'low income' <£5k per annum, but how would the energy companies ascertain that fact? It is eminently possible to have a 'low income' and not be in receipt of benefits.

And unless Eon.next can associate my partner with my electricity account...I'm not holding my breath.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

Also remember that this is not a government handout, but provided by the energy companies themselves and paid for out of everybody's standing charges...

OFGEM raised the cap on standing charges in anticipation of the scheme's expansion.

500,000 receive the benefit. 28,000,000 households pay for it.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 09-11-22 at 13:10.
    Community Team
    Hey, so I had a reply from my colleague, at the moment all we have to go on is the information that has already been provided in this thread. If you qualify then you will receive this automatically, you should receive a letter from the DWP confirming this in Nov/Dec. If you are in receipt of one of the benefits @Han_EONNext has listed at the start of the thread then you may qualify, the advice at the moment is to look out for a letter from DWP.

For customers living in Scotland applications will go live soon and this will be updated on our website (we will also pop an update here on the Community) you will be able to apply from your online account too making it much easier!
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 04/05/24 🏖

Community Team
    @DebF_EONNext

Hi Deb. Did you get passed my email from hi@eonnext.com re adding my partners name to my account? She has the eligible benefits, but the account is in my name.
    @retrotecchie no I haven't had an email come through to me 🤔 it may be that it hasn't been picked up yet.
    Level 1
    Will I get the Warm Home Discount this year?

I get income related ESA. But what from what I am reading that doesn't qualify me unless I am one of the high energy users. How are you going to determine that? You don't know the size of my home.

Confused. Does everyone who recieved income related ESA qualifiy to get warm home discount from YOU, Eon Next?
    Last edited by b3xvw; 09-11-22 at 14:49.
    Level 91
    @b3xvw

It seems so:

Qualifying benefits and tax credits

The qualifying means-tested benefits are:

• Housing Benefit
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • Income Support
    • the ‘Savings Credit’ part of Pension Credit
    • Universal Credit

But all of the following need to apply too:

if on 21 August 2022 all of the following apply:
    • your energy supplier is part of the scheme
    • you (or your partner) get certain means-tested benefits or tax credits
    • your property has a high energy cost score based on its characteristics
    • your name (or your partner’s) is on the bill

This is known as being in the ‘core group 2’.

E.On Next is part of the scheme
    you get one of the means tested benefits
    presumably, you or a partner 's name is on the bill
    but whether "your property has a high energy cost score based on its characteristics" is up for grabs and its next to impossible to ascertain anything at the moment.

so the answer is we don't know.
    Level 1
    Yes that's the conclusion I have come too. The DWP doesn't have this information on my home. I have no EPC recorded.
    So how do we know how they are choosing who meets this criteria?
    What evidence can Eon provide me with to show how they have come to the decision whether to pay me the Warm Payment discount ?

Answers please Eon - if your going to turn me down I will want to know how you made your decision.
    Level 91
    The valuation office agency and the energy ministry have a cauldron into which they pour lots of data that they have or can infer about all our homes which they then give to the energy suppliers who will use that data to allocate the pot of funding, until it’s all gone. If your home is the right side of the line you get £150, but otherwise nowt.

As my household doesn’t get any of the listed benefits I know my place. But I’m not sure if the final consultation has reported yet, it’s a scandal yet to erupt.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 09-11-22 at 16:38.