Fixed tariff Next Online v14 changes on Oct 1

Level 1
    I'm on Eon Next v14 fixed tariff. The electricity rate per kWh is higher than the new Government cap rate from Oct 1 but the gas price and the standing charges are lower.
    I have heard nothing from Eon and they are not responding on Twitter.
    I believe (from Government and Moneysavingexpert sources) that my electricity rate should reduce to the new cap rate of 34p per kWh (small regional variations) from Oct 1, keeping my lower gas and standing charges.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Has anyone had information on this from Eon?

Hello everyone - I'm a newbie to the forum.

I dont think the changes on the fixed energy costs have quite gone to plan.My fixed tariff costs are now higher that when I agreed to fix on the Next Online v14 tariff.
    I understand that where I was paying above the new government maximum this charge would be reduced – in my case the electricity kW/h charge has changed from 36.372p to 33.76p. This I was expecting to happen.

However, my gas charges have increased from 9.369p kW/h to 9.84p and the standing charge has increased from 25.293p to 27.22p
    The electricity standing charge has increased from 47.282 to 49.65p

This doesn't fit with what I was expecting at all
    Level 8
    All sorted now
    Electricity
    Next Online v14
    Fixed term ends 02/10/2023
    33.48 p/kWh 42.24 p/day(All rates inc. VAT)
    Gas
    Next Online v14
    Fixed term ends 02/10/2023
    9.84 p/kWh 27.22 p/day(All rates inc. VAT)

Hi,

That's good they sorted yours.

I'm on Next V14 until 5/5/23.

I'm on economy 7 so have two rates. My pre Oct 1st day rate was 41.5p. So I queried via twitter if it would hit the floor 34p as per their online article.

I actually probably don't need two rates but he said,

Is that tariff you have available for anyone if I ask do you think?

"No your day rate is still same as what you have in your tariff for day and night. £0.34 /kwh is a average amount for average usage but will effected by some elements same as how much energy you use, where you live, how you pay for your energy and your metering arrangement. The £2,500 cost per year figure is based on a household with typical consumption on a dual electricity and gas bill paying by direct debit."

That seems a bit elusive to me!

I've re-queried them. I'll see what they say.

Thanks

Matt
    Level 91
    I've posted at length on this in this see here: https://community.eonnext.com/thread...ll=1#post18518

The point is that pre EPG, the standing charges and unit rates were due to go up according to the OFGEM price cap announced at the end of August. The EPG came along and decreased the OFGEM unit rates (not though standing charges) by 17p (all VAT exclusive). In their announcement the Government said for the average user in the average region using 2,900 kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas would come to £2,500 and the average electricity unit price would be 34p.

But that assumed a single rate tariff paid by DD in this mythical average region. You're not on a single rate tariff - you are on economy 7 and have 2 rates. And the rates are regional.

It is also important to note that its prices that are capped not bills. The more you use the more you buy. Using this link you should be able to see your prices.

Search through our electricity and gas tariffs | E.ON Next (eonnext.com)

as supplied by @Barrie- didn't work on my phone but did on my PC.

Post again if this doesn't explain things well enough.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    Does anyone know why us customers haven’t been given the full 17p reduction for electricity and 4p for gas?

Eon-next was more than happy to collect more money than the previous cap and sell at a lower rate when the cap went up on Oct 1st, wondering why us customers don’t get the full reduction.

There is only a max rate not a minimum rate, so Eon-next should do the right thing and take the hit like they would of done if the government hadn’t of stepped in.
    Level 91
    @Paulodonoghue

If you were on a fix tariff before then applying the governments EPG reduction can only take you unit rates down to the variable EPG level BUT NOT BELOW THAT LEVEL. This is the government policy - not E.On Next's, so your criticism isn't justified in this instance. If your fix was very recent it is possible that your fix, even after applying the EPG discount, could remain above the variable EPG level. In that event, E.On Next will switch you to the variable tariff so you are not disadvantaged.

Additionally, the EPG does not affect Standing Charges. Furthermore, the new variable EPG rates are regional - there are 14 regions,
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn

thank you for clarifying the cost, I called eon and they said they just wasnt reducing it any lower, not criticising them as such just asking why the full discount wasn’t been passed on. Eon next
    didn’t explain that they couldn’t go any lower just that they wouldn’t be.

i’m on the online v14 so have had a small reduction in my electric and my gas is already lower.