Next Flex night rate difference?

Level 1
    Is there a different night rate for Net Flex?

I have an immerson water heater with two switches, upper and lower. The lower is supposed to be for overnight heating. If there's no difference in my rate, is there zero point, energy cost wise, using the lower immersion switch?

How do I know if my meter is a multi-rate meter? I have a digital display which only seems to show 'R1'.

Thanks
  • 3 Replies

Level 43
    Is there a different night rate for Net Flex?

I have an immerson water heater with two switches, upper and lower. The lower is supposed to be for overnight heating. If there's no difference in my rate, is there zero point, energy cost wise, using the lower immersion switch?

How do I know if my meter is a multi-rate meter? I have a digital display which only seems to show 'R1'.

Thanks

Hi @db99

If you can post a photo of your meter someone should be able to tell you if you have a single or multi-rate meter, although it's usually written on the front I think.

I assume that your tank has two immersion heating elements, one at the top and one at the bottom, hence the switches for upper and lower. The idea is that you would use the upper one if you only needed a lesser amount of hot water for general hand washing for example. The lower one would be used if you wanted a full tank of hot water.
    Level 1
    Thank you Andy65. Yes, my tank has two elements, upper and lower. Unfortunately the switches are on the other side of an internal wall and it's hard to tell which corresponds to which. Assuming I can figure that out, it sounds like there is still a reason to use the lower element for the reasons you mentioned, even if I don't have a different night tariff. I'm not at home to photograph my meter now, but don't think it says multi rate anywhere on the unit. It's an AS300P.
    Level 43
    Hi @db99

There's a thread here which suggests the AS300P is capable of multi-rate but that doesn't mean it's set to dual rate, it could be in single rate mode. If you want more help with the actual meter I'd suggest posting on that thread.