Unable to be offered appointment for a new smart meter

I've been trying to arrange for a smart meter to be installed at my property for several months but without any success. I tried to arrange before ordering solar panels, I tried repeatedly during the three-month wait for the solar panels to be installed, and I have tried repeatedly in the weeks since the panels have been installed. Usually this means calling Eon.Next and sitting in a phone queue for 20 or more minutes before speaking with a helpful customer services person but which ultimately ends in disappointment.

Each attempt to arrange an appointment ends with a response that "our server is down", "there is a problem with our server" or "we're currently unable to offer you an appointment in your area". I'm in the New Forest area and was wondering if anyone could offer any insights over the underlying reason?

If there is a server problem with the appointment booking system then surely Eon.Next would not be making any appointments or installing any smart meters. If there is high demand in my area then why would they not be able to book an appointment even if it is some time in the future, after all that is what a calendar booking system is for! And I cannot believe there is a blackout on installing smart meters in this local area. I feel like I'm being fobbed off.

Is there a national, or local, issue with arranging appointments and having smart meters installed?

• 4 Replies

Level 1
    I was also waiting for months with no answer, till I was told to contact then by Twitter. I submitted my question and had an online chat within 24 hours. 72 hours later I had my gas and electric smart meters installed. Maybe an option for you ?
    @Tiptop26 Thanks, I'll give that a go.
    So I contacted Eon.Next by Twitter last week. And have sent several DMs. And emailed. But still no contact of any kind about arranging a smart meter. I guess @Tiptop26 you were just lucky.

So far over the past months I’ve called half a dozen times and although customer services call centre have been polite they have just been unable to book any appointments for one of two reasons mentioned above. On one occasion there had been mention of escalating this matter but this never was followed though, or if it was, then not to me.

Perversely over the weekend I received an email reminder from Eon.Next that I should arrange to have a smart meter installed. The online booking wizard concluded with the now inevitable “sorry no appointments available”. Talk about rubbing salt in…

I feel I’ve exhausted most reasonable avenues. Any advice what I should try next? Perhaps if I stop paying my bill then someone will get in touch!
    Level 91
    Make a formal complaint - I can only conclude that there is an issue but you’ve been lied to as to its exact nature.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.