E.ON can't offer smart meter on Economy 7

Hey there @MiniKat,

It's super rare these days for storage heaters to stop working post smart meter install. Our techs should check everything before they leave. 😊

Let us know how you get on!
    Level 3
    As a quick update for everyone: this drama dragged on for much, much longer and ended up with a referral to the ombudsman regarding many more issues that were incurred.

They finally confirmed that if you have Economy 7, EON.Next CAN NOT install a smart meter at your property.

Save yourself time and drama and do not try and get one installed. They seem to have a severe lack of knowledge sharing over at EON.
    Level 92
    @Annonpa

Not strictly true. Any SMETS2 meter is by definition a meter capable of operating at single rate or dual rate (Economy 7). Where they appear to have problems is configuring the meter to work with two rates. Likewise, any SMETS2 meter currently configured as a two-rate E7 meter can be remotely changed to a single rate meter. Even this is an issue for them as most people with an E7 meter still have to send both readings, or have them read 'smartly' but both day and night rates are billed at the same tariff.

The SMETS2 commands to configure meters are very simple and the information is in the public domain, but they seem to be completely unable to do these simple tasks. As for 5 terminal meters with a switched off-peak circuit for heating/hot water...forget it. Sign up with OVO or SSE if this is your situation. It's as simple as that.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 5
    @Beki_EONNext
    i am currently with Eon and have night storage heaters and E7 plus my meter is an RTS. Now after reading this think Eon just don’t have capability to fit correct meter. Should I change supplier before RTS shutdown
    Hey @rosey, lovely to have you on the Community with us. 🌻

It does depend on a few things at the moment, in particular what your Standard Settlement Class/Configuration (SSC) configuration is. We're adding to these 'SSCs' all the time. I'm happy to check yours for you to put your mind at ease? I'll just need you to send me a message privately with your details.
    Level 5
    @Beki_EONNext
    ok what info do you need
    Last edited by rosey; 20-09-23 at 07:29.
    Level 5
    Did you get my message? I not sure but sent but I want to check this is private before sending confidential info and are you able to reassure me that the new smart meter Eon wish to install will do the same job as my radio teleswitch one. I am very worried due to horror stories of night storage heaters only charging at peak day rates and meters not aligned to Eon off peak times ? Basically I would like to know that the smart meter Eon is pestering me to have is going to work . Do your installers have experience of legacy meters like mine , do they know how to fit a 5 port meter. Until I know this I am reluctant to get a smart meter
    Community Team
    @rosey any messages that you send are between you and the recipient only no one else within the forum will be able to access this, even the Community Team can't see each others messages so please rest assured it's secure 😊 Beki is finished for the day but she will have received your message if you have sent a DM already.
    "Green is the prime colour of the world and that from which it's loveliness arises"-Pedro Calderon De La Barca 🌳

OUT OF OFFICE UNTIL 01/05/24 🏖

Level 1
    I have been with EON for over 4 years, and I have never taken the time to check my bills when I have an EV car charger from EON. I was made to believe that I was on Economy 7

I was surprised to see that I'm on a single rate; the DD was crazy; there was a time I got a bill of over 5k, and when it was questioned, it turned out that I was on credit not in debt

then I cancelled my DD, but I was charged for non-DD, which is normal for everyone not on DD. I decided to change to PAYG, which I found manageable for my household.

Now I want to change to Economy 7. I was told there is a charge, but after reading some of the posts on the community, I agreed it was standard for EON to charge to switch from a single rate meter to Economy 7, which I agreed to pay. I was told this could be done remotely, and I have read that this is possible and we set a date.

Today, I was told that I will have to go back to the direct debit meter first before changing to Economy 7

"Classic Credit Meter is a Meter that is not smart, but you pay through Direct Debit or on receipt of the bill."

What has that got to do with my method of payment?

Can anyone share their experience? I think Eon is frustrated about switching energy suppliers.