My tariff is being increased ?!

Level 1
    I joined eon on what I believed was a fixed rate at £230.33 a month, I am now being told they are increasing my payment to £404.00 a month.....I feel like I've been screwed over big time, I work in retail full time, not a great salary, also a widow. No way I can afford that !! I've emailed eon but waiting for a reply. I have a smart meter and cannot see how they can justify trying to mug me off like this. I'm mortified and have no idea what to do. Maybe I should quit my job and go on benefits , seems like that is the only way id get help. 😢
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    @lesleyt

I fear there are going to be many stories like this in the coming weeks. Firstly though, it's important to understand that on a fixed tariff it is the cost per unit that is fixed and not the monthly direct debit so you could indeed be on a fixed tariff, as you thought you were.

If you use more energy than what it was predicted you will use then the monthly payment will have to rise to cover the actual (increased) usage. That said, as you have a smart meter, it seems a big jump in monthly payments, unless your fixed tariff has just ended and you have been moved to the Next Flex variable tariff.

I think it's important to know what tariff you are actually on. You can find this in your online account or in the app for mobile phones. Both are quite easy to access.

I hope you get a reply to your email soon and can find a way ahead.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 20-08-22 at 13:03. Reason: grammar
  • Best Answer

Best Answer
    Hey @lesleyt, I am really sorry to hear about your struggle. Have you been in touch with our team over social media or Whatsapp? They can look at your account and see if we can help you somehow. This is such a worrying time for many of us. Please reach out, even if it is only for a chat or see what options we could offer.
  • Best Answer

Best Answer
    Hey @lesleyt, I am really sorry to hear about your struggle. Have you been in touch with our team over social media or Whatsapp? They can look at your account and see if we can help you somehow. This is such a worrying time for many of us. Please reach out, even if it is only for a chat or see what options we could offer.