Gas Calculation - Maths errors

Level 92
    @Mailman

One assumes they use the same calculation methodology for every bill...not just the O/P's. We've not had anyone else flagging up any irregularities in the maths so far.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 58
    @Mailman

One assumes they use the same calculation methodology for every bill...not just the O/P's. We've not had anyone else flagging up any irregularities in the maths so far.

I think I've proved that where both gas reads are smart there is no issue as I record the unrounded exact cubic meterage to 3 dp and can clearly demonstate that the calculation 'works' although bizarrely Eon Next use rounded numbers in the presentation on the bill but must use the full detail in the actual calculation.

What we really need is confirmation from the OP (or anyone else for that matter such as 'the usual suspects') of a bill kWh calculation where BOTH start and end gas reads are manual (integer values) and marked on the bill as such. 🍺
    Level 58
    @JimL

I looked back on my bills when I first started with Eon Next nearly 3 years ago. Although my meters are smart I had to submit manuals when I moved in for about 5/6 months until Eon Next were able to lift the reads seemlessly from the DCC. So these are from Nov 2021.

Name:  Nov21Reads.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  23.3 KB

As you can see the reads 105 (1st Nov)and 216 (1st Dec) were submitted as integer/whole numbers and marked as 'customer reads'. I recorded these on my own personal records as the same integer values (105 and 216). On the bills they show as 105.0 and 216.0 😁

The kWh calculation for this bill stated the correct value difference ( 216 - 105 = 111m3)

Name:  Nov21Calc.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  47.7 KB

Doing the same arithmetic in the 'For You' lower section tallies this time precisely because Eon Next had to use the integer values supplied by my customer readings as they had no access to the precise (3 dp) smart meter reads. For bills where either or both the readings were pulled via the DCC, Eon Next use the exact readings (taken to 3 dp) but report the precision in your bill as per manual reads i.e. 1 decimal place.

Got to say that in both cases I've now looked at the gas kWh consumption does compute correctly. I leave you with my very final thoughts. 😎

• If both reads are marked on the bill 'manual' then the 'For You' calculation in my example is correct as it appears on your bill if you re-do what you see on the bill.
    • If either or both read(s) is/are 'smart' then they won't unless you use the precise meter readings (for start/end reads).

Hope we can close this one off now as my particular well is almost exhausted. 😜

🍻
    Last edited by Mailman; 1 Hour Ago at 20:59. Reason: word insertion
    Level 84
    @JimL I have to totally agree with @Mailman . My meters are smart but during 2023 were more dumb than smart, so I had to submit manual readings. This is one of many statements.
    Name:  Screenshot_20240817-193733.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  285.1 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20240817-195050.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  33.9 KB
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 2 Hours Ago at 20:09.