IS Economy 10 being deliberately phased out?

Level 91
    A couple of members have posted about their issues with economy 10 and Eon next. I came across this site which lists companies (a comparatively small group) that still have economy 10 tariffs and only 4 that fully support Economy 10, rather than partially supporting economy 10.

List of Economy 10 Suppliers (Updated 2021)

It seems to me its only a matter of time before support for economy 10 is fully ended. Customers using these systems should consider switching to one of the full support suppliers, but to be prepared that sometime in the future the concept will end. For some customers this will require some rewiring of their metering systems - probably at cost to themselves. Economy 7 seems safe fore the foreseeable future as far as i can tell.

ADDED
    If you click on EON in the list of no longer supported suppliers, you get a blog, starting back 6 years and then moving forward, detailing peoples woes with Economy 10 at Eon. The stories have a common theme in that Eon have tried consistently to remove customers from Economy 10 whenever they can using a variety of excuses. Modern economy 10 meters are available from the fully spportive suppliers - but that doesn't include eon next - apparently.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 12-05-22 at 13:22. Reason: added paragraph
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 1
    Best Answer
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated since 2021 and now we can't find any supplier at all for new customers. We are not new customers as we have been E10 with Eon for 25 years, . It's true that E7 seems to be continuing for now, but Eon haven't even sorted out our meter to supply us that. We are getting E4.5 ! Their complex metering team did promise to help us move to one of the big 6 with E10 if necessary but haven't done a thing.
    Level 91
    @Crunchie66

Having looked at the comments of those posting there I think you are right. It seems its not possible to switch to another supplier for E!0. So during the summer might be a good time to make a proper switch to E7 Presumably your storage heaters are off for the summer and so the rewiring to make the most of E7 can be done with the least discomfort. Little seems to have been done when suppliers discontinue their e10 tariffs leaving customers faced with stark choices, but at least they were given some notice of the change.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn except we have been told about the E7 plus 3 hours option which is offered by Eon Next to compensate for losing normal E10. We still will need either another meter or someone from EonNext to reprogram the current one though. It isn't the wiring in our house that needs sorting but the botch job they have done to our smart meter. Hopefully we can get it sorted before winter. It is still very tiring to have to get up at 1.37am every night to put hot water on, and 4.5 hours doesn't really get it hot enough to last all day.
    Level 91
    @Crunchie66

I'm not on economy7 or 10 as I have gas and no EV. Despite having a solar thermal panel to heat my hot water, which works best in the summer, I still use about 2,600 kWh of gas for water heating and cooking during the summer months (apr-sep). I reckon my panel saves me 3,000 kWh per annum so there's no doubt in my mind that water heating is a significant cost to most households - but its not targeted much for energy saving. Showers rather than baths, short showers rather than long ones, insulating that hot water tank (if its not already well insulated) will all help to cut bills.