Eon Next overcharge somebody and then forcibly place the on a prepayment meter

Level 91
    On yesterdays one show on BBC1 there was a segment about a customer on a new development who was being chased to pay the electricity bill that was the responsibility of the developer. He tried to sort this out with customer services to no avail, was chased by debt collectors and then Eon Next obtained a warrant, entered the home and installed a prepayment meter. I suppose they also tried to put one on the gas supply which they though he had although the development is all electric.

One wonders whether the process for adopting these heavy handed tactics is fit for purpose. Surely somebody fairly senior in the company should vet the case for breaking into the property (likely causing damage and adding cost) then inflicting a prepayment meter onto somebody who is (quite correctly) contesting liability for the bills.

Something very wrong in all this!

The Citizens Advice website has some information for customers if the supplier tries to force the installation of a prepayment meter.

Stop your energy supplier moving you to prepayment - Citizens Advice

Eon Next would appear to have broken the rules in all this - but never mind - all is bright and breezy on the forum.
    Last edited by meldrewreborn; 21-04-22 at 13:38. Reason: added link to citizens advice
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
  • 1 Reply

Level 4
    @meldrewreborn I already miss my now long since bankrupt former energy supplier. Being forced back into the clutches of these "big 6" vultures only serves to remind me why I wanted to get the heck out years ago. I'm not sure where they get these tactics from. Feels like Putin, with the blessing of Boris Johnson.