anybody had problems with engineers not fitting smart meters when meters underground

Level 1
    has anyone had problems with eon next engineers not wanting to fit a smart meter where the gas meter is located under the surface of the ground.
    I had been waiting for nearly a year for eon to fit my smart meter and yesterday they came out to fit it but when he lifted the cover for the existing meter he said that the pipe was bent and there could be a crack under ground so he would have to call Caden out to check that there wasn't.
    so he left without fitting the meter.
    the Caden engineer turned up and straight away went to the meter and smelled if there was any gas and said that there wa no smell so there couldn't be a leak.
    he did say that Caden had had numerous call outs from eon engineers who were supposed to be fitting an underground meter because it would take them longer to do and they basically don't want to have to spend the extra time fitting the meter.
    he said he would put it in the report that the engineer should have known if there was no smell of gas above ground there wouldn't have been a leak underground, hence why you can tell if one of the main gas lines under the road has broken because you can smell gas.
    to say I'm fuming is an understatement and I will e getting in touch with eon next to complain about this engineer and the way eon next engineers act.
  • 2 Replies

Level 91
    @drackford

I feel for you. I think you should demand that Eon Next reschedule the fitting of the meter and they should ensure that the same fitter comes back to do the work.

The fitter should be made accountable for his actions.

However, I suspect that the engineer is sub contracted in some way and not a direct employee. So getting a swift new appointment and some compensation is about the best you can hope for.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn
    He was an eon next engineer and there were 2 of them, both in eon next vans. One of them did say why not try and see if the meter fits but he didn't want to know.
    Have called eon next but to be expected they just made an excuse and said they would get someone to call me back but I won't be holding my breath.
    Absolute joke, they bugged me for ages to get one then when I say I will have one it takes a year to get an appointment and then the lazy sod wouldn't fit it.
    Even caden said it was stupid of them not to know you can smell gas coming through meters of soil.
    If I could I would leave but the way things are at the moment I can't.. 😡😡