Monthly direct debit cost

Level 1
    Can anyone suggest why my cost estimate for next year has gone up by 44%, yet my direct debit is being increased by 93%?

Am I missing something?
  • 8 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 91
    Best Answer
    to delete a post you have to click "edit" and then there is a delete post option.

The electricity standing charge has gone up substantially, mainly to cover the costs to the new energy companies for the costs of migrating customers from failed energy customers (including their credit balances). all these costs have been loaded into electricity standing charge because the vast majority of customers have electricity but fewer have gas. Gas and electricity unit prices have gone up because of the cost of gas. But the experts say that energy companies are still losing money on the price capped rates. And other movements in the energy market mean the next price cap from 1 October 2022 will be even higher. This price cap (1 April2022) averages to a 54% increase, so could be 50-60% for customers depending on their energy mix and levels of use.

And the level of your DD is an estimate. At the end of your time with Eon next you will only (!) pay for the energy used at the appropriate prices.
    Level 91
    Could be any number of reasons. If you believe the DD assessment is wrong challenge it with real information and facts.

There's too little from you to offer any sensible answer beyond what i've put above.
    Level 1
    Fair comment. I guess my existing DD was just insufficient to cover the new costs, despite me being in credit!
    I'll give the new DD a couple of months and see how usage works out against the estimated.
    Level 1
    And I suppose the unit rate has increased as well. So even with the same usage, my direct debit wouldn't cover the new costs.
    Wish I knew how to delete a post!
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn That's not really much comfort to those who will have had several thousand pounds, over and above there actual energy usage costs needlessly removed from there accounts and used buy and to the advantage of Eon next.

Eon Next can up your DD to any figure they pluck out the air and in the short to medium term you are powerless to reduce it, If you take the option available to safeguard your account, and cancill your DD they will charge you more for you energy.

We as consumers desperately need some revised legislation and or protection from such practices My own DD has went up around 300% and if I allow them to collect it at that rate will result in an overpayment of over £2000 within a year! How can this be allowed, and where is our protection as consumers
    Level 91
    @grumpy

Its part of the licence conditions that Direct Debits are set at an appropriate level. I've had Direct Debits energy supplies for decades and have never been in credit more than £150. People though have to monitor the accounts and not put up with excessive levels of Direct debit.

I'm afraid that while the energy supplier can propose a Direct Debit figure it has to be fair and reasonable. I've also known a customer who rejected any attempt to increase their direct debit and ended up nearly £1000 in debit on their account. It took a lot of time to get that sorted out.

Its very possible to challenge a direct debit figure but you need facts and figures and your own calculations to do it effectively. I'm afraid saying "I don't like that figure - its too much" or "I can't afford that " doesn't cut it. But there is no reason why a direct debit should end up with the customer being in credit by huge amounts - providing its set properly.

And I have made use of the direct debit guarantee to claw back any debits that are set incorrectly - you do not have to cancel the direct debit.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn You do if you don't have the funds to pay without leaving you unable to pay other genuine bills. yes you can challenge the increase and start a dialogue to have it reviewed, but in the mean time its money gone from your account!

I am still trying to convince them they have not actually fitted the smart meter that they tried and failed to last month, which has totally messed up my meter readings and no doubt contributed to the farcical mess and fictitiously estimated bills I am now receiving.

Total joke start to finish, In fact there customer care and complaints handling has been spectacularly pathetic.
    Level 91
    @grumpy

But you've got usage from past periods which you can use to argue your case. As I said if you don't agree that the DD is fair and reasonable you can claim it back by contacting your bank and invoking the direct debit guarantee. Its there for a reason - in return for giving the supplier access to your funds they have to accept that you can claw the money back again if it isn't correct. Doing this send a powerful message to the supplier that you are not at all happy.