Unusually high bill

Level 1
    Hi, I moved into a 1 bed flat recently and am living on my own. I haven't paid bills before as my previous accommodation had them included, however the bills I am receiving from eonnext (my default supplier when I moved in) seem to be unusually high. I was expecting something like £50/month, which is confirmed by the estimates given on my bill (£400 estimated for electricity and £250 for gas per year, ie around £50/month). However the two bills I have received so far lead to estimates of £125.35/month and £104.59/month, respectively. Here are rough details:

First bill:
    03.01 to 14.01 (12 days)
    Electricity £36.46
    Gas £13.68
    Total £50.14
    (This leads to £125.35/month estimate)

Second bill:
    15.01 to 25.01 (11 days)
    Electricity £12.24
    Gas £26.11
    Total £38.35
    (This leads to £104.59/month estimate)

I should mention that the boiler was down when I moved in, hence I was using the electric hobs in the kitchen to heat the flat. This probably explains the high electricity in the first bill.

However I am not sure why the gas is so high in the second bill. The only reason I can think of is that after getting the boiler fixed and turning it on, there is a small radiator in the corridor which stays on indefinitely. It is always hot but the contractor said it can't be turned off as that would lead to pressure on the boiler, which would lead to it getting damaged. I think he said the purpose of the small radiator is flow or something. However, based on my bill I think it is leading to an unusually high gas price.

I can't think of any other reason why it would be so high. I only turn on the radiators when needed. Sometimes I'll leave the bedroom one on full over night if it's cold. (I always use the highest setting if I turn on a radiator by the way, could that be the problem?)
  • 1 Reply

@Energy123 Heya, Beki here 👋
    It's a nightmare sometimes to heat your home efficiently - can't believe you had to use your electric hobs to heat the flat though!
    So is your heating on constantly and do you have a thermostat where you can decide the temp?

Personally, I have my heating on constant but have my thermostat set to 17-19c so it only clicks on when it gets below these temperatures.