New tariff and smart meters

My current tariff is due to end soon and I have been looking at the renewal options. All of the cheapest options insist I have a smart meter fitted. For multiple reasons this is not an option. In order to get a good deal is my only option to swap suppliers? I haven't been impressed by the customer service since I was forced over to Eon from nPower. The fact that I have to register for a community forum instead of being able to chat online instantly is only compounding this.
  • Best Answer

Community Owner
    Best Answer
    Hi Seagull, thanks for the post. Let me see if I can help.

So some of our tariffs do ask for you to show interest in having a smart meter if you're eligible. There are a few reasons for this -

●Smart meters allow the energy industry to understand consumption easily which allows for better purchasing and then fairer pricing
    ●We can pass the savings on to you for less manpower needed as reads are automatic
    ●Accurate readings from your meter are sent directly to us without you having to worry (For our elderly customers this can be great as we're not having to ask them to read themselves. I had a lady last week who didn't want to keep going to the bottom of her garden in all weathers to read her meter, so a smart meter was perfect for her)
    ●You get an in home display unit that lets you keep track of what you're using, and because we can accurately bill and you can monitor your usage, you may see your bills reduce

In terms of online chat, I'm really pleased you've joined the community, but just so you know, if you ever need help outside of the community, you can chat with us on social media. Just search for E.ON Next on Facebook or Twitter, or click on the icons on the footer of the community. I have a brilliant team there ready to help from 8am to 10pm, 7 days a week and the messenger functions are just like live chat but a lot less clunky!