IHD ( in home display)

Level 1
    After several calls to eon who are aware of an issue with the IHDs mine is still not working, its been months now, wont read my electric usage, and doesn't know what tariff I'm on. No info on the site or forum, anyone got any idea as to what's going on? failing that anyone know how to disconnect the smart meter from my wifi, if they cant provide the service I signed up for then they can start sending a man to read my meter again.
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Hi. I can try to figure out what might be going on and possibly give some tips to get things fixed up. If you're able to show me some photos of your meters and IHD, that would definitely help me a lot. Please note that I don't work for E.On and can't access your account.

A broken IHD shouldn't prevent Smart Readings being sent back to a supplier - it simply means you can't see the real-time usage locally. The smart meters themselves are responsible for sending the readings to your supplier. I suspect that your IHD is either not paired properly or has somehow become disconnected, but I can figure out more clues if you can tell me a bit more about what happens when you try to use it.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    @theunknowntech Thanks for the reply, the IHD will not show current electricity use in pence, it recognises heavy usage as light under screen turns red so it is working, its is connected as the gas readings show. pic 2 and 3 are electric readings and pic 1 the gas, the gas is reading as normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Level 78
    Thanks for the photos! I don't think I've ever seen this IHD model before and I certainly don't recognise it. Somehow, it partially resembles a Chameleon IHD3 but I can definitely say that it's not one of those because I'd have noticed that immediately.

I think what's happened here, is that the tariff config didn't get downloaded when your electricity meter was commissioned. This can be fixed fairly easily though but it does mean contacting E.On for help. You'll want to ask them to run the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration against the Electricity meter and this should force both the meter and your IHD to pull down the missing data. I recommend keeping your IHD powered on and close to the meter when you make the call and for the 48 hours afterwards, since this improves the chances of the command getting through. It generally goes through in under 10 minutes but I always say 24-48 hours anyway as that gives it a better chance.

After that's done, you should see the cost of your electricity start to show up on your IHD in future.
    Level 1
    Thank you for taking the time to help me. I will contact eon again tomorrow using your wording, lets see what happens.