Smart Meter - no 3G signal

Level 1
    Hi - I've just booked an appointment for Smart Meter fit however when Eon tried a while ago there was insufficient signal for the meter to communicate.
    Unfortunately there was nowhere to record this when making the online appointment.

If nothing's changed it seems a bit of a waste of time and effort to try again.

Anyone know if the meters "phone-home" has improved in the last year or so ?
  • 3 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 78
    Best Answer
    Hmm... It sounds to me as if a couple of solutions could be needed here. Depending on nearby smart meters, it may be possible to use the Mesh option. Creating a Mesh network link requires at least four smart meters in range of each other - this magic number then allows additional smart meters to connect to DCC via the Mesh created by the entire group. It's something that will be set up for you if needed.

I also suspect that an SKU2 Cellular + Mesh (or SKU3 SIMCH) Comms Hub with at least a T2 Aerial might stand a better chance of getting a signal than the regular SKU1 Comms Hub on its own. These are offered for free if they're needed and are part of the standard install process. If the worst happens, there's always the monster sized T3 Aerials that are currently in development. But those ones are absolutely massive and require more development time before being made available. If anything can get a signal, either the Oriel T3 or Panorama T3 Aerial should do it.

Smart Meters also only speak when they're spoken to. In other words, they generally don't phone home unless they're responding to a SMETS Command or sending a critical alert of some kind. For me, my SMETS2 Aclara is working to perfection in that regard, but I'm not with E.On or E.On Next so I can't comment there.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!
    Level 1
    Wow, thanks for the techie response (which I did follow). Sounds like things have moved on a bit, I guess I'll see what EonNext do when they turn up for fit.
    Level 78
    No worries, glad to help. I have no connections with E.On myself beyond being on this forum. I'm just a guy who knows a lot of things (many of which are on another forum). If you ever search for anything Smart Meter related on Google, there's a very strong chance you'll discover content written by me, my friends, people I know, the forum I'm most active on or some of the resources I use myself for researching things.

It's worth noting that in all cases, a regular SKU1 Comms Hub will always be used first (unless you're in the Northern Territory where Long-Range Radio is used instead), followed by an SKU2 with a T1 Aerial, followed by an SKU2 with a T2 Aerial. The SKU3 Hub and T3 Aerial are last resort options, so you won't see too many of those. Mesh will be considered as well if there's already enough Mesh capable Comms Hubs in range.