Power Up Your Green Energy Game with E.ON Next & Ripple!

Level 92
    @Mailman

What we can comment on is the effect of policies on our bills, those are usually plain to see.

Show me any government 'scheme' that has been proven to save the billpayer any real money. I think the best way we can lower our bills is simply use less energy.

I'm seriously considering pulling the plug and going off-grid. Compared to having mains gas, off-grid heating oil and biomass has saved me a fortune in energy costs. No standing charges and pence per kWh is still a third of what mains gas costs.

If I can do the same with electricity, then I'll be laughing.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 5 Days Ago at 13:44.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 49
    @retrotecchie @meldrewreborn @Mailman

On a slightly different note, I've read articles this morning in some of the online Sunday newspapers that Ed Milliband is going to revive the much hated 'Boiler Tax' in April to try and force boiler manufacturers to make and sell more heat pumps which many customers cannot afford, do not have space for, and do not want. He's apparently going to fine them large amounts if they don't produce the mandatory numbers, which the manufacturers are already saying will mean they have increase prices of the gas boilers that customers can afford and want when their existing ones need replacing.
    Level 91
    Show me any government 'scheme' that has been proven to save the billpayer any real money. I think the best way we can lower our bills is simply use less energy.

I'm seriously considering pulling the plug and going off-grid. Compared to having mains gas, off-grid heating oil and biomass has saved me a fortune in energy costs. No standing charges and pence per kWh is still a third of what mains gas costs.

If I can do the same with electricity, then I'll be laughing.

if I could go off grid for electricity I would. My preferred solution would be for some solar supplemented by a mains gas powered generator plus battery.

And gas powered heat pumps should get more attention in preference to electric heat pumps.
    Current Eon Next customer, ex EDF, Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 91
    @Tommysgirl

its ironic when the generation of enough clean electricity is in doubt. But if they used the tax money to subsidise electricity standing charges it might be more palatable.
    Level 59
    @retrotecchie @meldrewreborn @Mailman

On a slightly different note, I've read articles this morning in some of the online Sunday newspapers that Ed Milliband is going to revive the much hated 'Boiler Tax' in April to try and force boiler manufacturers to make and sell more heat pumps which many customers cannot afford, do not have space for, and do not want. He's apparently going to fine them large amounts if they don't produce the mandatory numbers, which the manufacturers are already saying will mean they have increase prices of the gas boilers that customers can afford and want when their existing ones need replacing.

I picked up on this as well earlier today. This Clean Heat Market Mechanism (CHMM) would set a number of heat pumps suppliers must sell as a percentage of their overall boiler sales. It was initially drawn up by the Tories and had been set to come into force earlier this year before being shelved following a backlash. Looks like those wishing to replace an existing gas boiler (or have a new one replacing say all-electric panel heaters) will be hit indirectly by this 'fine' on these gas boiler supplier suppliers if this CHMM malarky is resurrected. With a current gas boiler 11 years old (and working) I'm not worried ATM but the day will come soon enough to decide what to do if and when that eventuality arises. đź‘Ť