Why does my 2 bed flat cost £1.58 a day when empty?

Level 1
    Expert opinions needed please. I have a 2 bed ground floor flat and a complicated set-up with gas (don't ask) but electricity is driving me mad. We went away for 3 days and came back to see the Smart Meter recording £1.58 a day costs when the only things running were the fridge-freezer, 2 silent Alexa Dots and 2 basic CCTV cameras.
    e-on Next estimates we will use 4,623 kWh a year which is what a 4-5 bedroom house would likely use.
    e-on seem mostly disinterested in my concerns.
    Any suggestions?
  • 1 Reply

Level 48
    @MarkDAFR

The £1.58 per day will include the standing charges for electricity and gas, which they always show just after midnight on most smart meter IHDs. Mine always show about £1.25 first thing every morning for the standing charges and the small amounts of electricity usage overnight for the fridge freezer running.

Everyones energy usage is different, so I can't comment on whether their estimate is correct or not, but if you are sure it is too high, contact them and ask them to explain how they've calculated it, and to revise it, and if they don't correct it, make an official complaint to them.