Smart meters are a pain

Level 1
    I always refused a smart meter but when I moved there was already a SMET2 installed so have no option. One of the biggest headaches I have!!
    Moved my electric to eon and then problems started. I have meter that is unreadable as it is positioned in inaccessible place at back of cupboard and you need to lay on the floor with a torch and hope that you can read meter. I am disabled so that is impossible. Eon refused to give me IHD so, I have no way of getting any readings. Therefore I have no control of how much energy I am using. Set up app but that does not give me regular readings either. It just says “no data” . They are getting data as they bill me. Someone at help desk has tried hard to help but they cannot get me any readings either. So I am getting in debt as I have no control of it. Before I had a smart meter it was easy just to have a quick look each day as to how much energy I used.
  • 5 Replies

Level 91
    @Beejay

yoi are entitled to go onto the priority services register and have your meter read by a meter reader. If there are no readings you may be being billed on an estimated basis. It might be that the meter is still recording consumption but the communications back to the supplier are failing. Equally it’s possible that the meter has stopped recording.

Getting onto the priority services register will be of benefit because a reader from Morrison meter reading services will need to visit periodically. If the meter is functional then they may not need to come inside. If they cannot read the meter from outside they will need to come inside for visual reading.

in the meantime can you ask a friend to check the meter for you?

this is a customer to customer space and customer service will need to be contacted by you as a separate matter.

the in home device you are missing is probably with the previous occupant. But it will have been uniquely paired to your meter and is now scrap. Suppliers do not regard these as essential and rarely replace them. You can though buy A new one, not second hand, if you wanted.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Community Manager
    Hello @Beejay Anasa here 👋 welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bit of trouble reading your meter and seeing your energy usage. 😢
    @meldrewreborn is correct as this meter was already there when you moved in we wouldn't be able to send your replacement IHD but you can buy one here is some more information IHD not working/Options😊

We would not expect you to be able to read your own meter if you're disabled or if your meter is in a position such as yours is. So you'll need to contact us so we can set you up on the priority list at this time we'll also be able to have a deep dive into your account and discuss any concerns with your usage. If you're being estimated it will say so on your bill and if we've not been able to get a read at all you may find that you've not received a bill which is a great indication to get in touch and we'll be able to see what's happened 😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 1
    @Anasa_EONNext I have had one problem after another since I changed to eon. From overcharging to, app refusing to give me my readings, bills when ever they feel like issuing them.
    Eon are getting readings as they send me bills and they say all is working as they get readingsbut on app it just says no data. The girl on the help desk tried very hard to sort it a few days ago with no luck. The problem is that as I cannot read the meter I do not know how much I have used for 1-2 months at a time. As the bills are high I have now had the storage heating removed. I can no longer afford to run them without knowing how much it is costing until 1-2 months later. I thought smart meters were meant to help you manage your usage easier!! I don’t understand how Eon can get readings and I can’t.
    I have been Eon customer for 33 years but I will be leaving soon as despite being happy until the last year I cannot take the continual stress anymore.
    Level 1
    @meldrewrebornThanks for reply. I am already on priority register. The bills are not estimates as Eon say meter is working fine. They can get readings it is me that cannot. I have no one who can read meter for me as I need it read on a daily basis to understand my usage. Thanks
    Level 55
    ........ as Eon say meter is working fine. They can get readings it is me that cannot. I have no one who can read meter for me as I need it read on a daily basis to understand my usage. Thanks

You have two additional choices that will enable you to monitor your usage:

1. Purchase the ivie bud for 'usage now' information and 'total used today' information.
    2. Install the free Bright App for an android device if you are happy with usage stats up to yesterday (but not including the present day).