RUN! As fast as you can

Level 2
    So … back story… almost 8 months ago I bought a house…. Unbeknownst to me (someone who has never had to deal with a pre-pay meter) there was a debt left on the meter by the previous owners. after 6-7 months of me trying to get the meters changed and getting every excuse under the sun as of why they can’t or most of the time “I don’t know” being the answer, the debt came to light. Well that’s not that difficult to solve you might say? Well turns out it is… after over a month of trying to re-set the meter by various means….. none worked so the final solution by the engineer that came to “re-set” the meter… is to change it to a smart meter… so problem solved? … apparently not as 4 days later I get an E-Mail to tell me my account has been sorted and. “My” debt has been added to the account and how I’m going to pay this back over the next X amount of months/years….. well that lead to yet another phone call, to basically get an “I don’t know” answer and “someone will phone you today” to explain…. (Good luck trying to explain that!!) well the phone call never came and none of the e-mails got answered so …. Here we seem to be …… my advice to EVERYONE that is connected to Eon is … get out and run! They are by far the most inept company I have EVER delt with!!!! unfortunately because this house seems to be under a debt I can’t change suppliers …. The moment I can get this sorted… be that through legal action or any other means… I’ll be leaving EON in the dust! So yes…. run whilst you still can!
  • 9 Replies

Level 5
    my advice to EVERYONE that is connected to Eon is … get out and run! They are by far the most inept company I have EVER delt with!!!!

You clearly haven't dealt with Scottish Power!

More seriously, Eon shouldn't be making the previous occupant's debt your problem. You would think it was a relatively simple problem for Eon to solve or understand.
    Level 2
    @Marco77 I was with scotish power for 12 years, and to be fair I never had an issue with them, but there again I never really had an issue come up so how they would have delt with one I can’t say, I would have thought this issue was a simple enough thing to sort… but here I am 8 months later, still getting no where🤷🏼‍♂️
    Community Manager
    Good morning @Andysnothappy Anasa here 👋 Welcome to the Community! it's great to have you here! Although I'm sorry to hear about your customer journey.😥

There are times when wiping a debt doesn't always work but there are ways around it. We would not expect you to pay for any body else's usage and the fact that we've tried to wipe it shows to me that we've accepted that the debt is not yours but just need to clear it.

From what you said above it sounds like the debt has now been cleared and the next step is to install a credit smart meter? Is this correct? If so please let me know and I'll be happy to chase this up for you to see what's happening?😊
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 2
    @Anasa_EONNext No the meter was changed to a smart one as a last ditch attempt to clear the debt, and then 4 days later you’ve added the debt back on to the new meter 🤷🏼‍♂️ so I’m still paying someone else’s debt
    Community Manager
    🤔 Ahh ok! Have you been asked to send in pictures of the meter to show the debt has not gone away? As if not they will ask for this and we don't want to delay getting this resolved any more than it already is. When did you send an email? Emails do take a little longer to pick up but we'll get to you.

I'd say your best bet would be Whatsapp if you have it? and you'd also be able to send any picture requests via that method. You should be able to get someone to pick this up for you today via that method.

Let me know if this is something you're able to do 😊
    Level 2
    @Anasa_EONNext I’ve sent all sorts of pictures of the old meter with all the failed attempts at re-setting the meter also proof I own the house just incase anyone had some strange ideas🤷🏼‍♂️. The new smart meter that was installed I have no idea how to use or find out what debts on there. I got an e-mail from you telling me that the debt has been added and I’ll finish paying someone else’s debt off by the end of the year If I continue to keep it topped up with enough credit . 👍🏻 I’ve called, emailed and used WhatsApp… but as yet. After some communication nothing has been achieved
    Level 91
    @Andysnothappy

We get these extreme tales of woe quite regularly, and they are completely unacceptable. Surveys of all the energy companies put Eon Next quite low down the league table so your experience is far from being isolated. Have you made a complaint? You should as this might (only might I'm afraid) get this resolved more quickly - and should get you some compensation.

When things work as they should all companies would get a high score, its how they deal with things when they've gone wrong that sort the best from the worst. Our experiences are all valid, but only when aggregated to large numbers of customers does a true picture emerge. I've not had any issues with Eon Next, but then I don't have a smart or prepayment meter!
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 2
    @meldrewreborn
    I think so far … we are up to about 5 - 6 complaints raised, still waiting for the call from the department that MAY be able to deal with it… still seems to be getting nowhere. Which is a shame because everyone I’ve spoke to is nice and helpful… as much as they can be ,.. it’s the company itself I have issues against because you can have the best customer service in the world but if the problem doesn’t get fixed ….. the customer service takes the beating and it all goes down the toilet,

unfortunately beaucase I’ve been burdened with someone else’s debt, it’s not like I can even change suppliers.🤷🏼‍♂️
    Level 91
    @Andysnothappy

So customer service staff are nice but ineffective? Unfortunately nobody seems to be paying attention to why comparatively simple matters don't get fixed. I'm certain the obsession with picking up brownie points for fitting new smart meters (whether they work or not) precludes repair of existing meters that function less than advertised.

There are no customer service standards for non function smart meters!