Getting EON to change a meter

Level 5
    Hi all,
    first post here... I thought I would try this method to see if I can get EON's attention.

Long story, been going on for four months.
    Short version is I am trying to sort out a meter change (if necessary) for my mother's house. She contacted EOn and got nowhere - except frustrated - so I picked up the problem to progress.

The IHD has dropped off the HAN. This is a problem as she wants to monitor her energy usage in real time as she is concerned about bills.
    We tried the usual reset procedures to no avail.

I then found that she is getting estimated bills - it looks very much like her meter is not connecting back via the DCC.

Simply, I want EOn to confirm if they are seeing readings at their end... we can go from there.

I do a fair bit of this sort of stuff having managed a few buildings. I normally manage to get Octopus' metering guy out within a couple of weeks to do meter chnages. Also, I seem to be able pick up the phone and speak to them without long hold times.

EOn seem different in that I can't get to talk to them on the phone, and by email each mail gets answered by a different person. Nothing gets done.

EOn have all the customer details in the emails that have been sent.

I have no idea if EOn monitor these forums, but hopefully if they do I might get someone's attention.
  • 19 Replies

Level 91
    @Marco77

Eon Next do not seem to bother to deal with any Smart Meter issues if the meters are still recording consumption. Facts like readings not getting through or the IHD not getting data do not merit any attention. Your experience of another supplier should tell you that switching suppliers is the way to go.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    I have had a couple of replies to my email today... not sure if this is in relation to me posting on this thread.

I still haven't had the fundamentaly simple answer to my question of "Can EON 'see' the meter?"
    They are going by estimated readings - which I happen to know are wrong.
    Yes, the meter is still recording energy usage - my mother can (by crawling under the stairs with a torch and magnifying glass) manage to get a reading.
    Maybe she should start sending them esitmated payments.

It strikes me as odd as most of my dealings have been with Octopus before. Like I said, it doesn't seem too hard for them to get metering issues sorted out. Sometimes it is even not their own guys - just contractors - but they still seem to be able to sort it.
    I have done a few rentals and also industrial three phase supply switches/upgrades... always our eight legged (or armed) friends seem to have sorted things in a couple of weeks.

I would have advised her to switch, but she is mid 'fixed deal' so doesn't want to do so quite yet.

Of course anyone (even sitting in the dark) would be better than switching to Scottish (Spanish) Power.. but that would be a whole other story.
    Last edited by Marco77; 24-04-23 at 20:47. Reason: Typo
    Level 5
    EON are now asking for a photo of the meter - which has been provided.
    It is a first generation L+G meter with a Trilliant comms hub. There isn't much info around on these, but the red LED on the WAN link looks suspicious.

Will update the thread with progress.
    I am only 4-5 month in to trying to sort this.
    Level 5
    EON have confirmed they can't see the meter from their end.
    It has been referred to the metering team.
    I think I am where I was four month ago
    Level 91
    @Marco77

Metering team? Isn't that Eon Next's version of a black hole in that things go in but nothing can come out?
    Level 92
    @meldrewreborn

"Accretion onto a black hole is the most efficient process for emitting energy from matter in the Universe, releasing up to 40% of the rest mass energy of the material falling in. Friction between parts of the accretion disc causes it to heat up and when matter heats up it glows, emitting black body radiation."

My hypothesis being the more meter complaints and problems fall into the 'black hole', the more 'positive energy' E.On Next can produce.

At the same time, Retrotecchie's Theory of Meter Relativity states that 'non smart meters have relatively few problems compared to smart ones'.

There is even a sneaky rumour inside the industry that there is a plan to try and do away with them altogether and go back to PLC technology, developed in the UK, rather than keep trying to flog the dead horse of the current European requirements. That would save the bill payers a good chunk, the government even more, and put control back in the hands of the industry rather than in the hands of the DCC. Abolishing them would save £400 million a year.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 76
    @retrotecchie
    I love your take on Stefan–Boltzmann's law 👍, or as I remember it in my college days Stefan's Law.
    Level 91
    @WizzyWigg @retrotecchie

Once matter has entered a black hole it doesn't tend to get out although Hawking proposed that they do leak matter very slowly. Personally, with my degree in common sense to back me, I don't subscribe to that notion and in practice Black Holes only seem to get more massive over time. A bit like the backlog in the smart meter team.

However, colliding black holes release an enormous amount of matter which then form particles which comprise some very heavy elements and the sum of the two black holes is considerably greater than the mass of the resultant new black hole, Perhaps we need to arrange a collision between Eon next and another big six player to make things better!

It would take a very brave (but intelligent) government to backtrack on smart metering now, although with home broadband now being more widespread than when the original specifications were developed a system that permitted both the current and a new broadband based interface would seem a great idea.
    Level 76
    @WizzyWigg @retrotecchie

Once matter has entered a black hole it doesn't tend to get out although Hawking proposed that they do leak matter very slowly. Personally, with my degree in common sense to back me, I don't subscribe to that notion and in practice Black Holes only seem to get more massive over time. A bit like the backlog in the smart meter team.

However, colliding black holes release an enormous amount of matter which then form particles which comprise some very heavy elements and the sum of the two black holes is considerably greater than the mass of the resultant new black hole, Perhaps we need to arrange a collision between Eon next and another big six player to make things better!

It would take a very brave (but intelligent) government to backtrack on smart metering now, although with home broadband now being more widespread than when the original specifications were developed a system that permitted both the current and a new broadband based interface would seem a great idea.

Might be worth using Einstein's and Rosen's mathematics in reverse and try and locate a white hole. Black holes suck matter in and white emit it. Join the 2 together via a wormhole and you would have amazing mode of green 😯 transport. It's possible as they both have a singularity at their centres. Probable problem might be one way only.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 28-04-23 at 16:56. Reason: Full stop