Gas Smart meter problem

Level 1
    Hello,

We had gas and electric smart meters installed but the engineer told us due to computer systems being down the install wasn’t fully completed and we would need another engineer to visit before we could use the smart reader. We’ve had an absolute mare trying to arrange this as Eon don’t seem to understand why we need another engineer visit and neither do I… it’s just what the first chap said!
    Any way my issue is the readings, I can read the electric meter manually but the gas meter says “HOLD OK TO TEST VALVE ON AIR” and I can’t read it…. What I really need to know is… is the unit actually recording my usage yet???! Because Eons estimated readings are ridiculously high! I need to know that my correct usage will still be stored in there somewhere so when the engineer comes my bill can be rectified.
    thank you
  • 6 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 76
    Best Answer
    When this message comes through, it is because the meter was installed but actually not enrolled and commissioned to the DCC. An appointment with an engineer to get this sorted is definitely required.
    Level 91
    @Zobohook

I don’t know how long it has been since your smart meters were installed but if no smart readings have shown in your gas account and you’re unable to read your meter then you will probably end up paying an estimated bill based on historic consumption.

Firstly I would do an internet search on your meter type to see if you can get a reading somehow so that you can submit it manually as you hopefully are doing with your electric. Failing that, as you have had no joy from customer service, I would send an email to unhappy@eonnext.com with Smart Meters Have Never Worked Since Installation as a title and put your account details in the body of the text with a full explanation of what has happened so far with appropriate dates. This will raise the issue to the next level.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 1
    @WizzyWigg Thank you very much!! Will it still be storing my usage properly during this period?
    Level 76
    @Zobohook I am afraid I don't know the answer to that. All I tell you is it needs enrolling and commissioning. @JoeSoap is spot on about sending an email to unhappy@eonnext.com, but I wonder if one of the community coordinators might be able to help if they could pick up this thread? If you send an email do include a photo of the meter and it's status.
    Last edited by WizzyWigg; 23-04-23 at 18:56. Reason: Spelling mistake
    Level 91
    @Zobohook

This is totally unacceptable. You need to raise this as an urgent complaint, and keep badgering them until its fixed - every 2/3 days.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Community Team
    Hi @Zobohook

I'm really sorry to hear about your Smart Meter installation issues 😔

Have you sent an email yet relating to this? When you've spoken to us, I'm not sure why the individual you've spoken to wasn't sure on what needed to be done.

This is something that we refer to as an "Install & Leave" - When the engineer is able to install the meters, but fails to commission your meters onto the Smart Data Communications Network due to an error during the meter scheming process.

You 100% do need another appointment as @WizzyWigg has mentioned above, and we have a specific process in place in order to get this type of appointment booked in for you.

Your gas will be recording your usage, but it may be stuck on the valve screen until the meter has been completely installed and commissioned, which I understand isn't ideal when you need to get a reading from it.

Let me know how far along you are with this 😊
    Last edited by PeterT_EONNext; 24-04-23 at 15:34.
    Cool 😎 Calm 😌 Collected 🙌 - Here to help, or just for a chat if you like!

Do you agree with a comment? Give the member a 👍
    Got the right answer to a query? Click 'Best Answer' ✅
    Can't find any help using the Search function or by scrolling through our Community? 🤔 Ask a question by starting a new thread in a sub-forum here!
    Find all the ways to get in touch with E.ON Next here