Incorrect rates applied 3rd April '23

Level 5
    Hi

anyone else.

All rates were correct prior to end of March no problems.

Received email telling me what the new rates would be from 1st April on an attached PDF.

Looked at smart meter today and rates are well above what was stated both on Gas, and Electric, also both sanding charges incorrect.

What they should be according to PDF.

Electric:
    Standing Charge: 53.96p
    Unit Rate: 32.811p

Gas:
    Standing Charge: 29.112p
    Unit rate: 10.236p

What smart meter now states.

Electric:
    Standing charge: 60.55p
    Unit rate: 35.48p

Gas:
    Standing charge: 34.33p
    Unit rate: 10.90p

All leading of course to an indication much higher than expected.

Can this be corrected?
  • 39 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 55
    Best Answer
    Just for anyone reading this thread, I've added a couple of screenshots that give a flavour of my 'budgeting spreadsheets - the first shows the usage in kWh (daily basis) and the second gives me an idea of what my likely bills might be on a monthly basis and gives scope for any future price precictions. Usage figures are what they actually were or, for future months, what they might be given the same usage in the corresponding month a year ago and any future estimates of price tariffs (from Cornwall) Once setup all you need to do is add usage numbers and change tariff information as and when needed. The tariff information on the IHD is not needed.

In this one only kWh (lifted from the IHD)

Name:  Budget_Energy.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  41.4 KB

In this second one, the new tariff I changed to (Next Flex) is in orange. Figures from estimated monthly usage have been used to produce a projection of the likely variable DD I will end up paying in Mid-May if average use/day stays the same as they have been for the early part of the month. Figures in yellow were actual usage for each period.

Name:  Budget_Energy2.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  64.8 KB
    Last edited by Mailman; 09-04-23 at 10:36. Reason: word insertion
    Level 91
    @PVFCpug

Looks like you're in the Midlands region. The figures on your smart meter are for those who pay by means other than direct debit. If you pay by DD then the figures in the email are correct. We are assured that our bills will be correct and that the info on smart meter IHDs will take time to update correctly. My account is also in a mess but I'm hanging fire until after the Easter weekend before I start chasing things.

You can send them an email if you like to hi@eonnext.com with 'Request IHD Tariff Update' as a title and put all your details in the body. It may still take a few days now to get it updated though.
    Last edited by JoeSoap; 06-04-23 at 14:09. Reason: Added a bit.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 8
    Getting totally fed up of the incompetence of eon, on the 3rd only my electric was reading wrong on the IHD (wrong standing charge and unit rate higher than tariff) , this morning the gas is now reading higher as well !!!!!!!!!!!

It's alright thinking, oh well, the price of the tariff on the website is what I will pay, it's just the IHD that's over estimating the price, but how do we know that's the case, we don't get a day to day usage breakdown to work out if this is correct.

I don't want to ring eon up about this because as others have said, you ring them up and they make it worse, I think back to a 3-4 month dispute I had with them before they finally got that simple little problem solved .
    Level 55
    @mtbgus

Your choices are pretty clear:
    1. Do nothing and hope things get resolved all by themselves.
    2. Ring them up and keeping ringing up until you get the issue sorted.
    3. Email them as per the above post.
    4. Hope that one of the Eon Next community staff pick it up in this forum and are able to action your request.
    5. Move to another supplier.

🍺
    Level 92
    @Mailman

Which all just adds fuel to my argument that if you have the rates in the email, a spreadsheet and take your own readings and track your usage yourself, then an IHD just adds confusion and obfuscation to the mix.

If they got updated correctly at the price change points and never mislead the customer then I see their value, but as this rarely seems to be the case, then the best place for them is switched off and in a kitchen drawer.

Even better would be an IHD that links to your meters to pull accurate consumption figures, and then lets you manually enter the tariff data yourself. Which strangely enough, is what my spreadsheet and graphing does, albeit with me entering the meter readings, although even that is in the process of being automated (by me and with a non-smart meter).
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 55
    @Mailman

Which all just adds fuel to my argument that if you have the rates in the email, a spreadsheet and take your own readings and track your usage yourself, then an IHD just adds confusion and obfuscation to the mix.

If they got updated correctly at the price change points and never mislead the customer then I see their value, but as this rarely seems to be the case, then the best place for them is switched off and in a kitchen drawer.

Even better would be an IHD that links to your meters to pull accurate consumption figures, and then lets you manually enter the tariff data yourself. Which strangely enough, is what my spreadsheet and graphing does, albeit with me entering the meter readings, although even that is in the process of being automated (by me and with a non-smart meter).

You and I both do this - the only difference being I've got a smart meter and you don't. 😄

As you and I both know, my IHD is only used to stop me getting the hoover out the cupboard to look at the meter reads and enables me to lift the daily kWh usage quickly from the comfort of this PC. Never used the £ budgeting aspect of IHDs, and never will, but see that it is used by some/many for its convenience (even it is wrong on many occasions). With tariff changes coming every 3 months for those on SVT, it is seemingly impossible for the IHD's to be magically updated at the stroke of midnight so I guess we will see many more posts like this particularly after these tariff changeover points. I refuse to get into a lather about the IHDs as I can (and do) budget to kWh (does not need a tariff update) rather than £ (that does). 👍
    Last edited by Mailman; 09-04-23 at 08:56. Reason: word insertion
    Level 91
    Kilowatt-hour is king. 👍

Absolutely!

The IHD is a useful little device though. Mine has a slightly higher tariff showing than I should be on right now but is close enough for 'at a glance' daily costs. In one way I like it showing higher costs as it scares the family into trying to cut down consumption 👍. Every cloud... 😂
    Level 91
    @Mailman

I've never mastered spreadsheets. To be honest, I've never tried. I do it all with pen and paper which is more laborious but I get there in the end.