What are E.ON Next's Friendly Hours?

Level 5
    What are the friendly hours on prepayment meters, specifically electric? Tried googling it and all I can find from eon next mentions smart meters. All other energy suppliers tell you the hours for their prepayment customers, but not eon next 🤔
    Last edited by PeterT_EONNext; 16-01-24 at 13:14.
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Community Team
    Best Answer
    Hey @Pete19612 😊

Hannah here 👋. In regards to standard Prepayment meters there are 4 types of electricity meter 🤔, and each meter has a different FND (friendly non-disconnection) time so its super important to make sure you know which one is yours. The meter types are:

1. KBA - The meter will disconnect when the credit runs out unless it’s an Economy 7 meter which will stay on between midnight and 7am. Whilst the meter is using the emergency credit, it doesn’t collect debt or standing charge.

2. KBB - The meter will have £5 emergency credit and the meter will disconnect when the credit runs out unless it’s an Economy 7 meter which will stay on between midnight and 7am. Whilst the meter is using the emergency credit, it doesn’t collect debt or standing charge.

3. KBC - The meter will have £5 emergency credit and the meter will disconnect when the credit runs out unless it runs out in the late evening. The meter will stay on until the morning; the exact times will vary depending on the time of year but it’s normally around 8pm to around 8am. Whilst the meter is using the emergency credit, it doesn’t collect debt or standing charge.

4. KBD - The meter will have £5 emergency credit and the meter will disconnect when the credit runs out. Meters that were fitted from mid-2009 onwards won’t disconnect if you run out of credit in the late evening. The meter will stay on until the morning; the exact times will vary depending on the time of year but it’s normally around 6pm to around 9am. If you run out of credit on a Sunday, on Christmas Day or Boxing Day, your meter won’t disconnect until the following day.

Generally we find that most customers will have a KBD meter - this is the latest model of prepay meters they have released 😊.

Unfortunately for standard Prepayment, Gas Prepayment meters doesn't have friendly hours, so once all the credit / emergency credit has been used up the meter will disconnect.

In regards to the timings, unlike Smart Meters Prepayment meters will remain in GMT all year around 🗓. This means, the above hours are accurate during October to March, and will be an hour out during British Summer Time(BST) March to October, when the clocks go forward by an hour.
    Last edited by Han_EONNext; 16-03-23 at 11:06.
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Community Manager
    Good evening @Pete19612 Anasa here 👋 Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here 😊 All our information is on our website so I'm sorry you missed it! 🙈

I've just had a look for you and here is the link to our Smart Pay As You Go Friendly hours for your electricity meter 😊

SPAYG Friendly hours will change to 4pm to 10am

There’ll be a slight change to your friendly hours, which will be 4pm to 10am Monday to Friday, when we won’t disconnect you if you accidentally run out of credit. Weekends and bank holidays will remain the same as today. You’ll pay back what you’ve used the next time you top up.
    Last edited by PeterT_EONNext; 16-01-24 at 13:15.
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 91
    @Anasa_EONNext

first time I’ve heard of friendly hours for prepayment customers, thanks for the information.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 5
    @Anasa_EONNext I actually did see it to be honest, I just assumed because it said 'smart' it only referred to smart meters, not prepayment key meters.

Will these hours change when the clocks go forward, or are those the hours for when the clocks do go forward?

Thanks in anticipation
    Last edited by Pete19612; 16-03-23 at 09:03. Reason: Additional wording