Is this an early April fools joke?

Level 55
    No point 'shifting' for me as I am not a smart meter person. Rather, I just save energy anyway. If you 'shift' a kWh from somewhen to somewhen else, your energy costs will be exactly the same, unless you move it from peak rate to off peak time if you are dual rate.

Sure, you may earn 20 or 30p a couple of times a month. But probably spending similar on energy overall if you didn't 'shift'.

But I've just reduced my average consumption from around 10kWh a day to nearer 7kWh a day. Saving me over a pound a day, or about £30 odd a month.

And if we all did this, then we wouldn't need demand shift in the first place as the demand on the grid would be well below the point where additional (expensive) generation needed to be brought on line to cover peak demand.

Just my view, is all.

The trouble with the setup that Eon Next now have means that the likely rewards can be much less than they can be with a system that awards agressive energy shifting. With tonight's event set up from 6.30-7.30 my baseline load for this period has been calculated as being 0.47 kWh so that means if I use zero electricity in this period I would be rewarded with a maximum of £3 x 0.47 = £1.50 but the time being what it is and TV and lights almost certainly being on after eating, I'll be lucky to use less than 0.3kWh in this period so I'm looking at maybe 36% reduction max so I might get as much as 50p - enough for 3 Tunnock's Tea Cakes 😁. If I don't save and just use my normal baseline amount in this hour, it will cost an extra 5p so overall you could argue I will be 55p better off than if I don't participate. Whatever the amount I may or may not get out of this event is really not enough to make me go the extra mile. Perhaps the kettle will be boiled prior to 6.30 tonight so that cost is shifted to an earlier settlement period. So 50p possibly tonight for me just isn't go to make me go 'hell for leather' because this particular household does not use much leather after 1830 😉

Your point about overall usage saving way more £££ is extremely relevant as I can testify to.

Electricity Usage in the period ending March 1st 2023 was 2460 kWh (6.7 kWh/day)
    Electricity Usage in the period ending March 1st 2022 was 2911 kWh (8.0 kWh/day)

Not as much as you have been able to save (£12.75 pcm v your £30 pcm) but my gas savings (circa £20 pcm) are better in the same period and equalise things up.

Gas Usage in the period ending March 1st 2023 was 5728 kWh
    Gas Usage in the period ending March 1st 2022 was 8948 kWh

So, as you rightly say, DFS rewards from Eon Next now are peanuts compared to overall energy reduction spends. 🍺
    Last edited by Mailman; 15-03-23 at 14:50.
    Level 92
    @retrotecchie

We don’t disagree. I only pointed out that we don’t need an event to reduce usage and save money.

Amen, to that👍
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 3
    Ok on Wednesday i turned everything off for an hour except my freezer and sat in the dark with just my phone for company, just got the results.
    I use 59% less electricity (odd) and have been rewarded with the princely sum of 25p.
    I`m struggling to decide what to spend my new found wealth on.
    Level 91
    @UKDave51

Five-sevenths of one unit of electricity. 35p a unit.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.
    Level 91
    @UKDave51

why leave the freezer on? It would easily cope with a temporary power cut.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.