Bereavement

Level 1
    Hi,
    I really think you need to review how bereavements are dealt with.
    The 'Notifynow' system works to a degree but has also led to stress for the family member who is trying to sort out the affairs of their deceased loved one.
    In my case I was put as the new account holder and have received demands for payment which have gradually increased in value, frequency and demand.
    I understand it is not the responsibility of the family member to settle these bills but it is the responsibility of the deceased person's estate.
    Eon-now really need to get this correct.
    After numerous emails and telephone calls to customer services (The latest was yesterday) I was told this would be resolved but I still await a confirmation email which I was promised.
    Darren
  • 4 Replies

Level 91
    @DazCordon

sorry you are in this situation. Bills after the death of the account holder become the responsibility of the executor or administrator of the deceased’s estate. This does not prevent family members taking on that role if they wish. The accounting can be sorted later, but the supplier is entitled to be paid for any consumption.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 1
    @meldrewreborn
    Thank you for your post.
    I understand that the account holder can be a family member but my point is the estate and not the notifier should be responsible for the payment of the vacant property's utility use.
    This was not an option when notifying Eon-next and could be easily addressed by the option of a bereavement team.
    Level 91
    @DazCordon

I fully agree. I’ve not used this service and probably never will - but if the supplier is getting it wrong tell them via email. Give the correct name of the person responsible and deny any personal liability for the debt. Then you have an audit trail.
    Community Manager
    Hello @DazCordon Anasa here 👋 I'm so sorry for your loss and we really appreciate your feedback especially at a time like this.

It looks to me like there has been some confusion if you call us and let us know that you are the new account holder the account will be closed and set up in your name, you'll not be expected to pay for any energy you've not used.

You can as mentioned above take on the account and clear any balance owing and continue as normal in your case it looks as though this should have been put into the executors name as the estate is responsible, you can be named as a person to contact not the account holder, the account will then become the responsibility of the executor/est.

Hopefully you've been able to get this cleared up but if not please get in touch so this can be rectified for you.
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣