Moved House and No IHD

Level 1
    Hello all,

I have recently moved house and no IHD has been left behind for us. Smart meters have been installed, but the original owners decided to take the IHD. I have spoken to EON to see how I can obtain a new one and they've informed me that I can't have one, as the meters were installed over 12 months ago.

I can't believe that I'm the first person who has moved to a new house where an IHD hasn't been left behind. I have read online that there's no point buying an IHD on Amazon or ebay, but I'm lost what to do here.

I have explained to EON that I want to pro-actively monitor my energy usage especially as we're in a cost of living crisis, but also to ensure my family isn't wasting energy and we're being as "green" as possible.
  • 3 Replies

Level 92
    You could do worse than downloading the free app from bright or loop which will allow you to track and monitor your usage using a phone or tablet.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 55
    Two things you can do in the absence of an IHD:

1. Install the Bright app which will give you access to energy consumption data but only for the previous day and before so its better than nothing.
    2. If you're not already aware of what appliances are electricity guzzlers then use a plug-in energy monitor that will work on a device-only basis.

No energy supplier will provide a new IHD unless it fails within 12 months of use.

You can of course buy your own (but not from Ebay as its a waste of time) from a reputable supplier such as Hildebrand Glow
    Level 91
    @Klinks

The previous advice is completely sound.

If you can, contact the previous occupants asking for the IHD back with its charger, as it cannot be used elsewhere (only to the meters in your property).

The IHD is useless elsewhere - which is why buying from ebay is so problematic.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.