Seems I am missing out

Level 8
    Are these energy shift events area specific?
    I was invited to join the event for January 19th, we actually did quite well managing to save 80%, without doing anything as we were not even at home due to family member being in hospital.
    After that event we had not heard about any further dates until today (event on 13th Feb).
    Looking through the forum it seems others have had events on at least two other occasions.
    I have checked my emails to make sure I haven't missed anything, and obviously I am able to receive the messages as today's email has arrived.
    Thanks in advance
    Ryan
  • 28 Replies

Level 16
    Are these energy shift events area specific?
    January 19th, we actually did quite well managing to save 80%, without doing anything as we were not even at home

There were Eon Energy Shift events on 19/1, 23/1, 24/1.

Did you make money on 19 January becuase I didn't and apparently as I also was not at home and so I couldn't abuse the electricity network for the 3 hours prior to the event time to make it look like I was saving energy later. Yes it's complicated.

I haven't been notified about the 13/2 event and that could possibly because I have now pledged my allegiance to Bright although if you could tell me the scheduled time I will ensure I use as much electricity as possible at that time.
    Level 8
    @Actual Hi, yes I am told I earned £1.19 . Surprised me. TBH I am not sure about this 3 hour thing you are talking about, I was lead to believe they take your average for the ten previous days during the same time period.
    Scheduled time for tomorrow is 17:30 to 18:30.
    Last edited by Ryan1; 12-02-23 at 21:46. Reason: Adding text
    Level 16
    @Ryan1

Pharr £1.19 is nothing, on 12/12 I earned £12.84 on just one event. Other have earned £50+ on a single event. The sky's the limit.
    Level 8
    @Actual, lucky you. I will never earn that much. My average usage this month is only £3.68 per day for both gas and electric. To earn £50 on 1 event your usage must be massive.
    Level 16
    @Actual, lucky you. I will never earn that much. My average usage this month is only £3.68 per day for both gas and electric. To earn £50 on 1 event your usage must be massive.

Welcome to the murky unfair world of Demand Flexibility Service.
    Level 16
    I wasn't invited to the Energy Shift on Monday 13 Feb 17:30 to 18:30 and I was out at the start of the period so I couldn't do as much as I wanted.

Energy used 16:30 to 17:30 was 0.56 kWh
    Energy used 17:30 to 18:30 was 4.74 kWh

Am I doing it right?
    Level 55
    @Ryan1

Pharr £1.19 is nothing, on 12/12 I earned £12.84 on just one event. Other have earned £50+ on a single event. The sky's the limit.

Perhaps the days of getting the 'big' rewards from Eon Next are gone. My results from the event on 13th February showed a 66% reduction from the previous 10 week day average so I was rewarded to the tune of £1.38p.

However, unlike previous sessions there appeared to be no in-day adjustment. I've worked out results from mine and a friend (also with Eon Next) who I spoke with today and theirs was the same i.e. no in day adjustment. I can agree my results exactly using no in-day adjustment.

If I am correct (and I need confirmation from those yet to be rewarded from Eon Next or other participants), then these events only reward less usage during the DFS event period and take no account of energy shifting to a specific 3 hour period preceding the event. Either Eon Next are changing the parameters for the rewards from DFS or this change has taken place with all the suppliers. If it has, then it really is no surprise. and many will say that this is a welcome change to stop those invited from 'gaming the system' - no more £50+ rewards 🤔. We will know for sure in the coming days if this change is confined to Eon Next.

Looks like any washing will be done in its usual time (late morning) rather than early afternoon 🤣
    Level 55
    I wasn't invited to the Energy Shift on Monday 13 Feb 17:30 to 18:30 and I was out at the start of the period so I couldn't do as much as I wanted.

Energy used 16:30 to 17:30 was 0.56 kWh
    Energy used 17:30 to 18:30 was 4.74 kWh

Am I doing it right?

If you weren't invited then you could say it mattered very little what energy was used during the event period. But if you been invited then you needed to reduce 👇 your consumption (by at least 20% of your average (from the previous 10 weekday days in the corresponding period). 👍
    Level 91
    @Mailman
    Up until the last event I simply reduced consumption during the stated period and did not deliberately consume more during the in-day adjustment period. I tend to reduce by 60-70% from my normal 0.9ish kW/h and earn c.£2 for my efforts.

Having read here about the in-day adjustment period I increased my usage during the three hour in-day slot by shifting consumption from other times of the day to see if I could earn more.

The result was that I reduced by 67% and earned exactly £2 so it made no difference. It looks like they have got wise to folk deliberately consuming more in that golden three hour slot.

I have to admit I was always baffled how they could think folk were shifting much more than they normally use during the event period into the in-day adjustment period. It was a loophole waiting to be closed.

Oh well, for those who gained from it, it was good while it lasted.
    I'm an Eon Next dual fuel customer with no particular expertise but have some time on my hands that I am using to try and help out a bit.