Meter accuracy test

View Tag Cloud
    Level 2
    Hello, looking for advice.Does anyone have any experience of an electric meter accuracy test performed by EonNext? If so, could you possibly let me know what this entails please? Many thanks
  • 4 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @LT5

No experience of E.On Next but I used to regularly carry out such tests myself.

They fit a second meter, known as a check meter, and run both meters in parallel for a period of time. At the end of the test period, they look at the readings on both meters, and see how closely they agree. At which point, if your meter is way out, it will be replaced. If it's within tolerance, it won't be.

Either way, you need to pay for the test. If it turns out your meter is faulty, they refund the charge. If your meter is fine, no refund.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
  • Best Answer

Level 92
    Best Answer
    @LT5

A load test is another way of doing it. Put x kW of load on the meter for y minutes and see if xy is what the meter actually records. That's sort of a go/no go test, but the check meter is usually a more accurate test as it records consumption over a longer period for a range of loads.

The load test will usually spot a properly faulty meter, but isn't the best method for determining accuracy over time. But if the meter records reasonably accurately for the duration of the load test, then the meter is likely OK.

Level 2
    Hi ,thanks so much for your reply.That's really helpful.We have had a meter check,which just consisted of a standard load test,I was of a similar understanding that a check meter would be installed alongside the existing meter too.Kind regards
    Level 2
    Thanks,we've been told that the meter has passed the SLT but that the meter needs to be changed.It's been a long fifteen month wrangle with EonNext and eventually escalating to the ombudsman to reach this point. We have a three rate meter and pay for day/night off peak on the same rate,despite having no storage heaters in the house.We set up an Eco eye clamp meter around a year ago,which shows consumption often 10x less than our meter at our property,which is why I thought EonNext might install a check meter to back up our concerns regarding the disparity in the clamp meter Vs meter at the property.Very frustrating situation! Thanks for your input.