Incorrect meter info credit meter not prepay

Level 1
    I have had both gas and electricity meters changed...was over a year ago....the electricity is fine ...but they will not recognise I have a normal gas meter....they insist I'm on prepay ....I haven't paid a penny for the gas at my apartment we have at the coast.....free gas is fine but it is so bloody annoying because I know they will want payment for the gas and daily standing charge eventually....I ring ..send photos ....meter numbers all sorts ...they just say ...sir its a prepay gas meter .... you just top up ...
    Last edited by Coops55; 27-01-23 at 10:27. Reason: Addition
  • 5 Replies

Level 91
    @Coops55

suppliers can only back bill you 12 months for energy so it’s not to your financial advantage to draw attention to this. So all credit to you!

you could make a complaint. See the blue area below. That might get their attention.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Community Team
    Hiya @Coops55 😊

Welcome to our Community! You sure are in the right place for some help with something like this. When you are ready please pop me a PM with your account details and I can get this looked into for you 👀 and we can get this fixed 🛠.
    🌍 Striving for a bigger, better and sustainable world!

There are lots of new ways to contact us! If you do need us please
    👉get in touch👈

Thinking about replacing your boiler? You can find out more about our boiler solutions 👉 HERE 👈
    Level 91
    @Beki_EONNext

Can you put yourself into this customers situation, and then consider what the customer service agent should do - what is your conclusion.

The customer reports something is wrong - surely if the customer service agent checks the account they will see

1) meter readings increasing showing gas is being consumed.

2) no payments into the account.

3) no bills being produced.

4) no income from prepayment.

Then the conclusion should (obviously?) be that there is something seriously wrong.

Since the new smart meters can be switched easily between prepayment and credit status, I can well imagine that this type of situation will become more common. Is there a case for additional training for customer service staff to recognise that there can be a mismatch between how the meter is set up and how the data is being interpreted centrally. It has echo's of " Little Britain " and "computer says no" where the computer has actually got it wrong.
    @meldrewreborn I agree there is always training needed - but most of these situations are due to a missed meter exchange, where the information hasn't been updated or sometimes it can be a whole different can of worms. I can see that Han has got in touch so I know we will get this sorted for the customer. 💪
    Last edited by Beki; 29-01-23 at 13:52. Reason: Grammar
    Level 91
    @meldrewreborn I agree there is always training needed - but most of these situations are due to a missed meter exchange, where the information hasn't been updated or sometimes it can be a whole different can of worms. I can see that Han has got in touch so I know we will get this sorted for the customer. 💪

I think the customer has not been believed when they’ve reported the issue - perhaps more than once.