App data reading bears no relation to bill!

Level 1
    I hope you will be able to help me with an issue I have around my current billing for gas and electricity.

According to my Eon.next app, I have used (this month, to Jan 25 2023) 155 kwh of Electricity at 0.34p per kwh. I have used 708 kwh of gas at 0.10p per kwh. I am on the Next Flex tariff.

This should mean my bill to date for this month should be £52 for electricity and £70 for gas (not including standing charge or VAT) – a total of £122. Instead, it is £215 (not including standing charge or vat) according to the app (Electricity £99.84 and Gas £116.03) What on earth is going on?!

Last edited by popey; 25-01-23 at 18:45. Reason: Because I missed out something
  • 2 Replies

Level 91
    @popey

I don't use the app and i haven't a smart meter. Therefore i only have my consumption direct from the meter and the tariff prices, from which i can work out my charges with near total accuracy (gas because of calorific value drift cannot be totally accurate).

I suggest you do the same and then you will know what is near enough correct and what isn't. It seems to me that there can be differences between what an IHD, app and on line account say, but only the latter , via your bills, is definitive. Dates, reading and prices can all differ - the latter shouldn't happen but it does.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    Level 55
    @popey

@popey

I don't use the app and i haven't a smart meter. Therefore i only have my consumption direct from the meter and the tariff prices, from which i can work out my charges with near total accuracy (gas because of calorific value drift cannot be totally accurate).

I suggest you do the same and then you will know what is near enough correct and what isn't. It seems to me that there can be differences between what an IHD, app and on line account say, but only the latter , via your bills, is definitive. Dates, reading and prices can all differ - the latter shouldn't happen but it does.

I don't use the app either but I do have both a SMETS2 smart meter and a functioning IHD.

From my very fortunate experiences with both I see no need to use an app as I collate the kWh usage on a daily basis (via the history on the IHD), tabulate them in a spreadsheet and always find an accurate reconciliation when it comes to the generated bill.

The one thing that might throw your calculations off kilter is the 'usage for the month' that you see on an IHD (and possibly the app as well). The usage will reset and zeroise from 0001 on the 1st of each calendar month. So if you read the IHD (and probably the app) on 25th January, it shows usage and costs ONLY from 1st January -25th January inc whereas if you get billed monthly, the consumption will be from 26th December - 25th January inclusive.