Meter reading not working

Level 1
    Hello! I'm new to e.on next but have noticed recently my meter reading has stopped registering the gas and electric I've been using for the past 5 weeks. I've just received an email saying I haven't submitted a meter reading for a while but am confused as to why its all of a sudden stopped working! Any help would be appreciated 🙏thanks 😊
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 1
    Best Answer
    Hi Becky. Are you saying your personal display is not working or are you talking about the actual meters themselves?
    I assume you are talking about your personal display unit. If this stops showing your data do this.
    Unplug the device from mains socket, leave it for 5 to 10 mins like that.
    Then move the device as close as possible to your meters( to ensure good signal), and replug into the mains.
    The device should try to reconnect with both meters although the gas meter does take longer and usually only communicates via the electric meter every half an hour or so.
    One thing you should check is that your device is showing that EON is the supply company and the tariff details can be checked in settings!
    It does seem to be a bit of a problem with personal display units that they do "go to sleep' sometimes and need re starting as described.
    If the unit has been knocked or dropped it may have failed as they are generally of poor quality. Mine for example has a loose connector to the mains at the back and stops working sometimes
    Good Luck
    Staff
    Hi Becky!

Thanks for your post :)

@h2onorth is completely right about resetting the display! Always worth a try.

If you're referring to there being no readings on your account though and you've recently moved to us, it can take 2-4 weeks for us to gain connectivity to the meter through the Data Communications Company (Think of them like the middle-man between us and your meter!). Do you know if your meter is SMETS1 (first generation) or SMETS2 (second generation)? This could make a difference too :)

Thanks!

Beth
    Level 1
    Hi guys! Thanks for replying 🙂

I'm referring to both, the display has stopped working and I've tried that trick of turning it off and moving it near the meter and it still hasn't come alive again!

@BethS I've also received an email to say that yourselves haven't received a meter reading from the reader since May 🥴 is this classed as long enough for a switch over? I'm not sure on the model type all it says on the bottom built in 2018...I hope this helps a bit more 😊
    @Becky Hey! Another Beki here! Thanks for your reply. If you pop me your account number in a private message I can check to see what meter you have and advise what to do from there. 😊
    Level 78
    If your meter is a SMETS1, the Comms Hub on top of the electric meter will either match the meter brand itself or be from a brand such as Trilliant. SMETS2 meters will always have a Comms Hub that's branded Toshiba, WNC or EDMI and will be clearly marked as either being Cellular, Cellular + Mesh or Long-Range Radio in some way.

Gas meters are unable to communicate as often as electric meters though because they're powered by a battery (it's unsafe to hook them up to the mains). To conserve battery and try to get the gas meter to last at least 10 or 15 years, the gas meter only wakes up and sends a heartbeat over the HAN every 30 minutes. Any slower would reduce the reading frequency too much and cause firmware updates to take forever. Any faster and the battery would be shredded faster than the spec requires. Your IHD communicates with both meters via the Comms Hub on top of the electric meter as this acts as the central hub for everything. You do need to keep the IHD within about 10-15 metres of the Comms Hub to make sure the ZigBee HAN signal is strong enough to work. Just like with Wi-Fi, if you get too far away from the Comms Hub, the signal will fail.

If you've got S2 meters and are in either the Central or Southern Territory, there should be five lights on the Comms Hub. Make sure that the SW, WAN, HAN and GAS lights are all pulsing together once every five seconds. If they are, the entire Site is healthy, meaning there's a good signal across your Home Area Network, everything is working properly and there's a WAN signal going back to DCC. If you've got a MESH connection, the MESH light will replace the WAN light but is otherwise the same rule. If any of the lights is pulsing at one or three second intervals, this would need to be investigated as something could be faulty or not commissioned properly.

It can also take up to six weeks to newly commission a site or transfer control to a new supplier. There's a whole bunch of processes that have to take place and they can't be sped up easily. S1 meters are also being upgraded and migrated to DCC as well, but it's taking a while and I'm told it will take another year to fully migrate all S1 meters over. They'll never be true SMETS2 meters either, which is why I consider them to be more SMETS1+ than anything else once they've migrated.
    Just another guy passing by... The unknown tech way...
    Pete is an IHD Tariff Update Robot! 🤖 Anasa is a Giant Enemy Robot Spider 🕷 🤖 Hannah is neither! Need Customer service? click here! Replacement IHD Guide? Here it is!