Death of an account holder

View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    After reading comments from Teddy posted last year, my own experience hasn't been much better. I have tried to contact E.On Next about the death of an account holder by phone on several attempts and by email on hi@eonnext. To date, not only have I spent over an hour on hold over three separate calls without result but I have also not received a reply to my email sent a week ago with copies of death certs and a will. In view of the fact that we have had a family bereavement this is very poor customer service and makes me glad I am not personally a customer of this supplier.
  • 9 Replies

Level 92
    @PeterJMajor

You may have more luck if you follow the link in the Help section on the main website regarding bereavements.

https://www.eonnext.com/help/other-faqs

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 91
    Some have tried using moving out / moving in as an alternative. The lack of response is distressing, but given you've done all the right things , you've no need to chase them - it might actually only confuse matters I sorry to say.
    Current Eon Next and EDF customer, ex Zog and Symbio. Don't think dual fuel saves money and don't like smart meters. Chronologically Gifted. If I offend let me know by private message, but I’ll continue to express my opinions nonetheless.
    @PeterJMajor
    I completely agree with @meldrewreborn. It is upsetting when you receive less than satisfactory service following a family bereavement, but you have done all you can by informing Eon-Next and providing them with documentation. I presume you will have saved a copy of your e-mail as proof you informed them, so it is now their responsibility to close the account. You have more than enough to deal with at such a time, so leave it to Eon-Next now.
    Community Manager
    Hello @PeterJMajor Anasa here 👋 Firstly I am so sorry to hear of your loss, this must be a very difficult time for you and the last thing you want to do is be stuck on the phone with no outcome at the end of it so I am sorry to hear that you've not been able to get a satisfactory response.

As mentioned above you have done all the right things by contacting us via email and your email will be picked up, it's not an instant service via email so you maybe waiting a few days for a response but we'll sort everything out for you and send you an email once we pick this up.

I am a little concerned about the fact that you say you have rang us and were kept on hold and would like to get a better understanding of this. There is no rush as we do understand this is a very sensitive time so please get in touch via private message in your own time with the account details so we can see what went wrong went you called, other than that there is nothing more you need to do at this time in terms of providing us details for the account to get closed.
    'The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members’

Did you know that we're open 24/7 across our Social Media Channels? There are lots of ways to contact us over here!📣

Level 1
    @Anasa_EONNext
    Hi Anasa
    I am not looking to close the account just yet. I really need to keep the power on while we clear and clean the house. I was asking if the power could be kept on and a final meter reading taken when the property is sold. We can then settle up for the energy use in one shot.
    Thanks
    Peter
    Community Manager
    Absolutely you can keep the account open if that's what you choose, we'll put the account into the executors name that could be yourself or a family member and it will run as normal until you let us know you'd like to close it, just keep sending us reads unless you have a working smart meter.

If you're waiting on probate to settle the account we'll note the account accordingly and will require the solicitors details.
    Last edited by Anasa_EONNext; 12-01-23 at 18:17.
    Level 91
    As @Anasa_EONNext says the account of the deceased has to be closed as of the date of death, and the appropriate credit debit balance included in returns for probate and/or IHT purposes. The administrator/executor of the will then has their name on a new account and charges will be set against the estate monies.
    @Anasa_EONNext Please note that its not always necessary for a solicitor to be involved - I've acted as executor 5 times now and I'm definitely not a solicitor. So better not to assume that one is involved. If you had said Administrator/executor that would have been perfectly accurate.
    Community Manager
    Hi @meldrewreborn Thanks for the update, I did not assume that there was a solicitor involved I said 'if' you're waiting on probate that may delay payments where we need to put a hold on the account and we'd need that info, I worked on the deceased team at EON energy for a good few years so I know there are a lot of issues that could arise and lots of occasions where payment has to be delayed, so that's why I gave it as an option to cover all basis 😊
    Level 91
    [QUOTE
    If you're waiting on probate to settle the account we'll note the account accordingly and will require the solicitors details.[/QUOTE]

so you didn’t assume a solicitor’s involvement then ?