smart meter

Level 1
    As of New Years day my smart meter suddenly showed a quadrupling of use. I have not increased my usage four-fold what on earth is going on?????
  • 11 Replies

Level 92
    Electricity or gas? And do you mean quadrupling of cost or of actual consumption in kWh?

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 3
    my smart metre has done exactly the same since new years day as well,i am electric only,when i get up in morning my snart metre is akways on 22/23pence used from resetting at 00.00 but last 3 days its been way higher for no reason at 62p-57p & 60p and there is nothing extra left plugged in/left on and no!! my standing charge has never been applied at midnight or just after,its applied separate,my large appliances are saying cost oer hour to run is 50% higher than they have always been,i cannot get thru to Eon next on phone waited 20mins am & pm on 3rd January,had to give up both times & get back to work!!
    Level 92
    @Russ0505

Right, you are all talking about your IHD, not your smart meters themselves.

You've had a tariff update following the changes to the OFGEM pricecap from January. Forget the money and monitor your usage in kWH. The tariff update has not been corrected for EBSS just yet, but it will happen in the next few days or so.
    Level 3
    thankyou for the reply,i will monitor the kwh usage then,had no communication from Eon next about this,i was just left to wonder what had happened!!!
    Level 92
    @Russ0505

This seems to happen whenever new tariffs are pushed to meters. Not sure why but for a few days after an update, the numbers do go out of whack and cause all sorts of confusion, but eventually settle down once corrections have been pushed through. Your physical meters will still be reporting actual consumption back to the suppliers and the actual billing will be correct. It's just that the IHD will be telling you porkies for a few days. It should sort itself out. If not and it's still looking daft by next week, then an email to hi@eonnext.com with all your account details and 'Request Smart Meter Tariff Push' in the subject should correct things for you.
    Level 55
    Having looked at my IHD this morning the numbers look about right showing £0.85 for electricity - comprising about £0.50 for the standing charge and 1.12 kWh of usage (cost 1.12 x 31.87p = 35.7p). So the £ usage figure on my IHD adds together the £ Standing Charge and the £ usage up until that time. I seem to remember that at some point in the dim and distant past possibly the standing charge was not added on as it should have been at 0001 each day. A quick sanity check using the actual kWh usage, multiplied by the correct unit rate adding the correct standing charge should convince those wondering as how the IHD is treating the £ usage figure. Nothing sinister going on here (at least with my IHD).

TBH though I invariably have my IHD set on kWh usage as that is the critical input into my energy monitoring.
    Last edited by Mailman; 04-01-23 at 09:48.
    Level 92
    @Mailman

With you there. The kilowatt is king, in my book. I just cannot understand why everyone gets hung up over the pounds and pence. Not having a smart meter myself, I get everything I need to know from manual readings and my spreadsheets.

So, if you have an IHD sat on the side in the kitchen which tells you that boiling a couple of cups of water in your kettle has just cost you 3p, is that really going to make you change your energy habits? I make a brew because I want a brew. Does knowing that the IHD has just told me my kettle has cost me 3p, which I know anyway, make me any more likely to not want a brew an hour later? No.

Now, I'm trying to average 8kWh a day. If I use the tumble drier or the cooker, that day's usage will increase. The days I don't use those appliances, the consumption drops. So long as my rolling average, calculated on my spreadsheet and displayed as a graph, stays within my defined parameters why does knowing how much it costs to boil a kettle or use a toaster or my pounds and pence usage over the last hour or two actually matter?

When my final meter reading for the month, the one I send to E.On Next, goes into my spreadsheet, I know to the penny how much my bill is going to be. If I've kept my average consumption within the limits I set, I know that I'm within budget for my monthly energy costs.

The spreadsheet itself tells me trends, tracks my usage and calculates my costs far more usefully than looking at an IHD at 3pm and it telling me it's 'guessed' my consumption for the day so far at, say, £2.89.
    Level 3
    hi i did what you said about giving the tariff push time to settle down but both my pence per hour & my Kw usage still seem way higher since 1st January,i have tried phoning & emailing Eon next &?cant get thru to them & heard nothing back to my emails.
    Level 92
    @Russ0505

If your kWh usage has increased then it follows that your pence per hour will also increase. Has anything changed? Any new appliances or anything? Immersion heater left on? Electric heater being used?

Have you tried a meter sanity test to try and track down the increase in consumption?

https://community.eonnext.com/thread...er+sanity+test
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 16-01-23 at 18:44.