Gas Meter not sending / not being charged?

Level 2
    hi Community.
    I joined EON in June and had a SMART meter fitted. However it looks like this meter isn't sending readings to EON and it looks like I haven't been billed for Gas since Nov (when I did my last manual reading and did an online chat with EON to find out what's going on - apparently they had also made a prior mistake with my bills!). [My Electricity SMART meter is fine and I'm being billed for that].

Also this HMRC energy credit seems to be doing strange things - my direct debit has now dropped to zero, so I am not building up credit to pay for my energy!

This all seems very odd and nothing like any of the other energy companies that I've used before. Has anyone else had this happen to them - what's the solution?
    (I'm waiting on the phone for EON to reply - 30 mins so far).
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Clarissa
  • 4 Replies

Level 92
    @ClaraEnergy

There always seem to be issues with gas. Either the smart meters not working or readings being manually taken but not processed. That's one of the reasons I'm glad I don't have gas! The other being that right now, heating oil is about 20% cheaper per kWh than gas and there are no standing charges.

If you are not building up any credit because the EBSS is covering your monthly payments, then you can always make manual additional payments to your account, either online or through the app.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. I DON'T work for or on behalf of EON.Next, but am willing to try and help if I can. Not on mains gas, mobile network or mains drainage. House heated almost entirely by baby dragons.
    Level 2
    @retrotecchie - thanks for your reply. It's crazy that an energy company can't process gas payments. I can't change to oil so that's not an option for me. I have to say that if EON can't sort this I'll be leaving them very soon.
    Thanks for suggesting manual payments - I'll look into that (but it would be good to know what the deficit is, so I hope that someone at EON will eventually reply to me!)
    Level 92
    @ClaraEnergy

Have a look at your meter reading history for gas, then look at the full pdf version of your last couple of bills. Have they made any calculations for gas at all, or is there just nothing showing on your bills?

If you have gas readings but they have not been calculated in, you can do your own estimate on any deficit by converting your gas meter readings in cubic metres to kWh by multiplying by 11.6 to see how much gas you have used in kWh which you then multiply by the gas tariff, then work out the number of days standing charges you need to add.

A bit of a pain, yes, but it will give you a reasonable approximation.

Then drop an email to hi@eonnext.com with all your account details in the body and 'Missing gas bills' in the subject and hopefully that will give them a chivvy up.
    Last edited by retrotecchie; 03-01-23 at 13:45.
    Level 2
    Unfortunately the bills are just for electricity- no bills for gas apart from a credit in Nov when I submitted a manual reading. All other readings before that point where estimated and none since that point (10th Nov). Very strange